1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time - incorrect daily rate

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by friarsyear1, Aug 16, 2019.

1. friarsyear1

friarsyear1 New commenter

Hi All.

I recently found out that the amount I have been getting paid for my one day a week is incorrect. My union are supporting me with this as I have tried, on several occasions, to explain to the HR woman how to calculate a teacher’s daily rate (divide the full-time salary by 195) but, even with supporting evidence from the STPCD, she is not co-operating.

I would like to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience.

A bit of background information about me:
    - prior to July 2018 I was working full-time;
    - I went on maternity leave Oct 2017 and returned July 2018;
    - in the initial conversation with the headteacher, it was agreed that I could return for one day a week from June 4th 2018 until Dec 2018 then the days would increase from Jan 2019 “...because one day a week is not sustainable for the long term “ (headteacher);
    - the school “could not accommodate” me in June. I pushed to start being paid in the summer holidays which happened;
    - following 3 conversations with the head, I realised that they weren’t going to up my one day and so I was working one day a week for the school year 2018-2019.

The school I work in is an academy and I was employed prior to it changing to the academy status so am protected by the STPCD as I was TUPE’ed over.

Thank you in advance.

With regards,
    J

2. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

Surely you are being paid on a 0.2FTE contract. not a daily rate.
    So your salary is 0.2 x full time salary.

TUPE only applies at point of transfer.

If you returned from Mat Leave and agreed a different working pattern as a result of a flexible request, that change is perm.

Piranha likes this.
  3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

The daily rate calculation assumes no pay during the holiday. Assuming, as should roughly be the case, that you work 20% of 195 days = 39 days, then on your calculation, you would get full time annual salary times 39 divided by 195. This is exactly the same as the 0.2 x full time salary quoted by @cornflake above.

There would only be a problem if you were not being paid during the holidays. But you said you are under STPCD, and that says that the daily rate method only applies to teachers on a day-to-day basis, which I don't think applies to you.