1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part-time in school and part-time via teaching agency

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by Martha88, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Martha88

Martha88 New commenter

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on this one. As I was doing my MSc course last year, I had to ask my school for a day off and therefore was only working 4 days a week. The course's finished now but they did not agree for me to work 5 days a week unfortunately. I was wondering if I am allowed to work 1 day a week via a teaching agency then? Apologies if the question sounds silly but I was qualified overseas and not sure what the regulations are. As I couldn't find any information in my contract of employment, I have decided to ask you for a piece of advice.

Many thanks,
    Marta

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Why do you think that you can't?

3. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

You can work for an agency or whoever you want to on your day off, no problem x

4. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I agree. You are free to do as you like on your day off, including working for a different employer.

5. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I suppose OP's anxious that they might put a 0.8 contract over 5 days, or have meetnigs/parent eves that she wouldn't get back in time for.

6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I'm guessing that she already has next year's timetable, and the contract may already be specified as 4 days a week rather than 0.8. She doesn't have to attend meetings/parents evenings on days when she's not working there, so that shouldn't be an issue if the timetable is across 4 days.

There are employers that put a clause in their contracts about not being allowed to work for another employer without permission, but schools normally don't, and in the case of someone for whom they can't provide a full-time post, I think any such clause could reasonably be challenged anyway.

7. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

i did just that. 4/1 one year then 3/2 days the next year. Worked well as it gives you salary plus top ups and a bit less of the niff naff and trivia to deal with.