1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time HOY. Is it possible

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Wardy11, May 9, 2019.

1. Wardy11

Wardy11 New commenter

Hi all

I hope this is the right place to post. I have been offered a HOY role on a temporary contract as I am currently 0.8 part time and due to child care would like to remain so. The temporary contract is until the end of the year to see if the role works as a part time role. Does anyone have any experience or advice for me at all? Can it work and if so how?
    Many thanks for your replies in advance!

2. TheBigA

TheBigA New commenter

Hi wardy11

Look, it's not ideal but I suppose it could work with the right organisation and communication. I have staff in my school who job share faculty management positions because two faculty heads are winding down to retirement, the difference here is that the posts are covered full time between two people and it's an opportunity to develop people to eventually take on the role full time.

From what I see elsewhere I wouldn't expect to only do 0.8 of the work if I was you, all the work associated with the role will still need to be done and if nobody is appointed on a 0.2 basis then you will need to do all of it.

Good luck.

Pomza likes this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes, that's the issue regularly identified on here for part timers taking on TLRs/HoD/HoY roles when working 0.8. The school rarely appoints anyone to take on the other 0.2 so you end up squeezing 100% of the HoY role into 80% of the time and for 80% of the pay.

You either have to live with that as not being too onerous or see if you can identify a discreet part of the role that's equivalent to 0.2 of it and ask head to give that to someone else. Probably not practical for a HoY though. You could ask for an additional free period or two to allow you to do the role.

4. dts

dts Occasional commenter

In principle I don't see why any role, including Headship, can't be done part-time - as long as there is appropriate cover for off days. Boarding schools will often have senior staff taking half-days during the week because they have been on duty over the weekend.

We are going to need to resolve this problem if we are ever going to tackle the gender disparity which has men being vastly more likely to rise to SLT and stay there.

Nic588 likes this.