1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

part time - how many SDDs?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by kate.mahon, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Can anyone tell me how many Staff Development Days a part time teacher (0.55) should be required to attend? Also, what is the feeling about parent evenings on evenings that you don't work? I have just started a job share and am unsure of what hours I am required to do. Thanks.

2. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

You cannot be asked to do anything on days that you do not work.

Period.

There will be a lot of pressure put on you to do meetings/parents evenings on days that you do not work.

You do not have to do anything on those days.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Only 'period' if you work in an LA school, or if in an academy you are on STPCD terms of employment. Otherwise you'd need to see what your contract of employment says

4. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

In terms of your staff development days, meetings etc you would be expected to attend 55% of them being on a 0.55 contract.

5. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

You are not obliged to work outside of your contracted hours. They can ask you to attend parents evenings, meetings etc but if you are not being paid for them, you have the right to choose whether or not to attend. It can come across as unprofessional if there is no teacher representation on parent's evenings as some parents will no doubt need to discuss things with you. As a part timer, you should have a 'job share' who works on a full time basis and as a result will be able to communicate with parents on your behalf.

6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You are expected to attend 55% of working days. If all the staff development days fall on your days, you would expect to attend all of them. If none of them do, you can't be expected to attend any (although the school can offer to pay you to do so, which you can if you wish, but don't have to). If someone tries to tell you that you have to do 55% of staff development days, when they're not on your working days, you need to point out that you are doing more than 55% of teaching days. It's a bit greyer if you work parts of the days involved, but it ought to be possible to come to a sensible agreement.

"You are not obliged to work outside of your contracted hours."

You're not obliged to do anything on a day when you do not work at all. But if you do work for part of the day on which a parents' evening falls, I think they can then ask you to attend. However your total directed time should be totted up; if they ask you to attend all meetings and parents' evenings, this may well take you over 55% of the directed time hours; in that case, sensible schools reach a sensible agreement about what you skip.

"As a part timer, you should have a 'job share' who works on a full time basis and as a result will be able to communicate with parents on your behalf."

????

Some part-timers have a job-share partner, and so one can speak for both at parents' evenings: in that case, you shouldn't feel obliged to go in. If one partner ends up doing all the parents' evenings, the other may do the lion's share of the reports in return.

But in secondary, some part-timers are the only teacher of their groups. In that case, if they are unable to attend parents' evenings, arrangements will have to be made. Maybe the HoD deals with any queries on the night, and the part-timer follows up by phone, or the part-timer can supply written notes to the HoD, or parents are told that they can make appointments with the part-timer on an alternative day. (A lot may depend on subject - for some, parents may just think "good, one less teacher to see".) In practice, it's probably less work overall to attend the parents' evening, but you can't be made to if you don't work that day. If you do agree to attend, make sure you include it in totting up the directed time - it's best to do that at the start of the year, so that if you are over, you can discuss what you might be able to miss.

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'm p/t and having similar issues. It's an independent school and HT is trying to insist i attend on days I'm not contracted for. We are locking horns but I'm not giving in! If they don't like it I will simply walk.

8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

At my last school the (temporary) head was very good about that. it was usually arranged that one of the parent's meetings was on my work day and I usually went to development days. She would pay me for attendance on days that weren't usual work days.

She would sometimes ask me to fill in as SLT if necessary and I was always paid for those too. Give and take I think. I was prepared to do more because she was too. I came in for Ofsted on my days off. Of course, all that changed when she moved on and the school became an academy!

9. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It all works best when there is some give and take, but schools need to know the rules. There may be some part-timers who can come in on a non-working day if there's a good reason, but there are some who simply can't, and schools have to recognise that they can't expect it. I think occasionally new staff can fall foul of "the last part-timer did...", and I've always tried to make sure that the school has been aware when I've been doing things out of goodwill rather than because I had to. I've been lucky that all the schools I've worked in have been willing to operate on give and take basis, but they've been lucky that I've been able to be more flexible than some part-timers.