1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time - how many meetings should I attend?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by minxyfish, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Hi, I'm new on here and could do with some advise please.

I work 0.6 and have never given any thought to the number of meetings I should attend. I work a full day on the day our team meetings are held (most Tuesdays) after college and attend them all.

This week I have been paid to do several hours of cover for a member of our dept, during my usual time off. Today I did periods 1, 2 and 6. After this, my course leader reminded me to go to staff briefing, which took me by surprise as I had genuinely forgotten it was on as I'm not usually in college today. I was told that as I was in college at the end of the day that I must attend.

Even though I was only in college today on supply terms, was she right to insist that I should go? When I said that I thought I should only attend 0.6 of meetings as I am P/T, she said that I should actually be attending them all.

Have I dreamt this 'rule' about only attending meetings equivalent to your contracted time? (maybe I have as I seem to have dragged it out of my mind out of the blue today!)

I know this isn't so important in the grand scheme of things, but would love to know exactly where I stand.

2. Hi, I'm new on here and could do with some advise please.

I work 0.6 and have never given any thought to the number of meetings I should attend. I work a full day on the day our team meetings are held (most Tuesdays) after college and attend them all.

This week I have been paid to do several hours of cover for a member of our dept, during my usual time off. Today I did periods 1, 2 and 6. After this, my course leader reminded me to go to staff briefing, which took me by surprise as I had genuinely forgotten it was on as I'm not usually in college today. I was told that as I was in college at the end of the day that I must attend.

Even though I was only in college today on supply terms, was she right to insist that I should go? When I said that I thought I should only attend 0.6 of meetings as I am P/T, she said that I should actually be attending them all.

Have I dreamt this 'rule' about only attending meetings equivalent to your contracted time? (maybe I have as I seem to have dragged it out of my mind out of the blue today!)

I know this isn't so important in the grand scheme of things, but would love to know exactly where I stand.

3. I will be watching this thread with keen interest. I work 0.8, which translates to a few days of finishing a bit early and a few days of starting a bit late. Our meeting day falls on the day when I finish early on alternate weeks - now, if I have only been paid to be in school till 2pm, and hence I should be entitled to arrange to do something else, I should not have to hang about waiting for a meeting at 3.30. But I feel guilty and usually feel I am expected to stay. Yet my colleague, who has her part time arranged so she gets the whole day off (alternate weeks) feels no such compulsion to come in and attend.

So she is only attending about half the meetings, even though she is 0.9. In fact, they don't fall to a regular schedule, so she could be missing more than half of them!

I would say that for you to attend the same percentage of meetings pro rata that your 100% colleagues attend, is more than fair....

4. Rusty - glad it's not just me! Although why I didn't think of this in September is beyond me. It sounds to me like you shouldn't be attending all of your meetings, but I know that when your P/T involves part days it's easy to do do extra without even realising/wanting to.
    My bugbear is that I have been at college from 8-3.35 today, yet am only being paid for the 3 hours that I covered. So when the briefing was mentioned, all I could think was 'I just want to go home! I'm not being paid to be here!'
    Let's hope we get some clarity on the matter...

5. At my school it's pro rata.

6. It IS pro rata
    i.e. if you work 0.5 you attend 0.5 of the meetings/parents evenings etc

7. At my previous employment, if meetings were held on a day you weren't in, and you were asked to attend, you got paid meetings rate.

8. Well at the school I work, if your not in on the day of the meeting you do not attend, and has been at the TP schools I was at thinking about it. As those who did not work Fridays did not attend the training days when on a Friday.

9. Thanks for the replies. It seems like we P/T-ers should be attending P/T meetings, then, which is what I thought, yet not what I am doing.

So if we are on site when a meeting is held at the end of the day, how do we decide which ones we attend? I.e. How do I attend 0.6 of meetings?

Also, any ideas about my situation today? - I was on site for the whole day as supply for my dept, as I usually don't work at all today. Yet I was expected to go to the weekly staff briefing after college because I was on site. I will be paid for the 3 hours I covered today only (periods 1, 2 and 6), not the 8 hours that I was actually on site for.

Should I be have been expected to attend the 25 minute briefing as I was on site and am a member of the college staff, OR should I have been treated as any supply teacher for the day and been allowed to go home as soon as my last supply class was over?

10. Does anyone know how this works if you work until lunchtime? Are you expected to go and come back - or stay on all afternoon? I've checked the School Teachers Pay and Conditions Doc and its not entirely clear (Para 77). Thanks

11. frustum

frustum Established commenter

I used to work two jobs, but the teaching wasn't in whole days. Therefore if I finished teaching at lunchtime, I then went to the other job. I don't think they can expect you to come back or stay in.
    I was given last lesson off on meeting day one year: fortunately I spotted that when first shown my timetable by the deputy head, and said "do you want me to come to meetings?" He gave me an extra non-contact that lesson. In fact, he might have done better to offer me supply rate for that lesson on the days when I had a meeting; I didn't have a tutor group, so didn't need to attend year team meetings. However, given that he'd done that, when occasionally there was a meeting on another day when I finished early, I was happy to attend without extra pay.

12. frustum

frustum Established commenter

Next time they are cheeky enough to ask you to do that one, say that you're quite happy to do periods 1 and 2, but not period 6. Or that you'll do period 6 provided that nobody tries to expect you to stay afterwards.
    Are there any rules on trapped time for supply teachers? Or is it just a question of them telling you what they want and you taking it or leaving it accordingly?

13. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

What are the rules on trapped time anyway?

14. I seem to recall a thread about trapped time a while back and believe that there is no obligation to accommodate P/T staff.

15. I think P/T staff are supposed to do P/T meetings, so the OP "should" do 60%. It's admirable to do all the dept meetings, and your HoD should really be pleased that you are being so supportive of his/her leadership in attending them all.

16. My fault sorry! I was searching for posts similar to my issue and was just wondering if you have to attend meetings on an evening when you are off on the afternoon or last lesson. And if you have to go what to do about this time you're forced to stay!