1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

part time hours

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by busyrachel, Mar 12, 2012.

1. My head teacher phoned me at 7.45 this morning to say that she didn't need me to come in this afternoon as the children I normally teach would be in a play rehearsal. She asked if I was ok with this and I would have to bank the hours and pay them back at a later time. I'm sure this is not reasonable, especially as I have still had to pay for my childcare. I know that you should work your contracted hours as directed by your head teacher but surely this is wrong?

2. My head teacher phoned me at 7.45 this morning to say that she didn't need me to come in this afternoon as the children I normally teach would be in a play rehearsal. She asked if I was ok with this and I would have to bank the hours and pay them back at a later time. I'm sure this is not reasonable, especially as I have still had to pay for my childcare. I know that you should work your contracted hours as directed by your head teacher but surely this is wrong?

3. I'm sure this is not right...
    Were your pupils the only ones involved? If not, what happened to full time teachers that would have been teaching the other pupils? were they asked to go home early and told to make the time up later (presumably by coming in during the holidays or at a weekend?) - Unlikely!
    The other question of course is why the head left it until this morning to decide what the pupils were doing, and making you give an immediate answer without even the option to try and rearrange your childcare (if you had wanted to go above and beyond your duty)

4. You have all kinds of protection in your terms and conditions of employment and extra protection from the part time workers regulations. Your directed time is written down and agreed with you at the beginning of the school year, and not changed everyday with a phone call - as you must already know. If the fte staff are not being sent home and asked to work on an extra day after the end of term to make it up (which is potentially the equivalend of what you have agreed) then the pt working regulations prevent you being required to do the same.
    But if your HT asks you to change your hours and work them at another time - and for some quite inexplicable reason you agree. I don't see that you can do anything about it.
    No amount of protection in law will save you from yourself.

5. I cover the SENCO's non-contact time for an afternoon a week. She was off ill today. Apparently they found someone else (probably an HLTA) to cover this morning and decided to put the class with 2 others this afternoon for the play rehearsal. I know that I know nothing about the play but I could have helped crowd control or be deployed elsewhere in school.
    Last time I was asked to swap I said no, and the Head was obviously unhappy, telling me sshe hadn't wanted me in. I have been asked to swap 6 times in 24 weeks!

6. Assuming you have a permanent pt contract and are not on temp/ supply you need to sort out how you are going to deal with this situation in the future.
    If you have agreed to change your day 6 times in 24 weeks - it will become your custom and practice to work in this way soon. If you want to work like that - it's fine. If you don't want to, then you just have to learn to say no, in the nicest possible way.
    Just practice a nice rebuff and be prepared to use it at any time. You never know with people like your HT where and when the next ridiculous request is coming from. They catch you on the hop and before you know what you're saying you've agreed to something you didn't want to do, because most of us have that helpful instinct ingrained in us.
    So - this morning you could have been very helpful and said. "I'm so sorry - I've got childcare arranged and it's too late for me to swap, perhaps Mrs FullTime teacher would like the afternoon off I think I've got her number if you want to try her?" Now - whats not helpful there. Nothing wrong with slightly misunderstanding the request either.
    OR you could try "Lovely I would like the afternoon off - and you owe me the time so I wont need to bank it"
    OR "I can't swap the days but as you don't need me in school that will be fantastic for me to do ppa from home - how nice of you to arrange that. I really apreciate it" he he.
    For those moments when the request is so ridiculous you can't get a proper response together have an emergency. "Can I get back to you tomorrow, I can't think what I'm doing- just explain exactly what it is you want me to do again"
    You do need to read the pay and conditions of service and all the part time workers regulations so you feel confident to stick to your guns. You can do it. Discuss it with Union for some extra confidence in dealing with it. But nobody can help you if you keep saying yes when you mean No. If you are asked - and agree - that is not unreasonable.
    SAY AFTER ME "I'M SOOO SORRY - I'D LOVE TO HELP BUT I'VE GOT PROBLEMS WITH THE CHILDMINDER"

7. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

I agree - have a chat with your union about this and about how to deal with your HT's unreasonable behaviour.
    You are being taken advantage of and messed around.

8. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

My Year 11s recently had an afternoon exam and SLT said that teachers of these students were free to go home early if they wished. I am part time and was not asked to give this time back.
    I would agree that speaking to your union is the best option. But I would have thought that as you are salaried with set working hours, they cannot tell you that you are not required and ask you to owe them the hours.

9. Thank you all. I knew I was being taken advantage of by a HT who is very rude if you don't agree with her. I have always tried to be helpful and flexible but that is now being taken advantage of. So when she asked AGAIN this week I have said no! We shall see what response I get in school tomorrow!

10. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter