1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time hours being changed.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Miss Pious, May 9, 2011.

1. Sadly this is all too common - most teachers haver a contract stating either numner of days of percentage contract i.e. 0.5
    Effectively this allows the HT to delegate their work as they see fit for the school.
    Often when a teacher goes part-time they negotiate a cetain day off - frequently either side of the weekend and anticpate this is written in stone - its not - soon as the HT sees that the school's needs have changed this can be changed.....
    If the HT is going for it all guns blazing - they maybe wishing to eradicate parttimers - for some they are the bane of their life.....
    Being constructive I would go and see the HT and offer suggestions that may work better for you, perhaps in collaboration with a colleague who you share a subject with.... it is always better to go with solutions to problems than solely the problem.

2. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

I would agree with above, but would also check situation out with your union. A few years ago, my LA decided that assembly supervision times wouldn't count in pt's hours, but they would in ft- no explanation for this, that was just what they did. Pt work is great, but you are sometimes at the mercy of others.

3. I am part time and when I started at my present school, i was doing 2 days. Now my lessons are spread out so I have to go in 9/10 days for a lesson or two each day. It is ok ish for me but it would be difficult if I was trying to fit another job/ commitment into my week and needed a particular day off. I think it is just how it goes with part time...

4. maggie m

maggie m Occasional commenter

I know it can be very difficult for parttimers. I have a colleague who is desperate to know her days for next September so she can get the appropriate days for her twins at nursery. However on this one I do have some sympathy for SMT. We have 3 part timers in science and they all want Friday and Monday off . This is what they all asked for last year and there had to be some compromise. This time round they all seem much more belligerent and ready to resign over the issue. Its all creating an unpleasant atmosphere

5. We all understand why, but there has to be some give and take with part-timers also.
    I've been in this position of having to say no to this - surely these teachers would have been better off asking for two consecutive days off.
    If they threaten to resign - presumably as they think they have the school over a barrel - I'd say it would be far easier now to replace them tbh as a full-timer - there are so many looking for jobs...
    Awful approach I know to have but the school employs them and needs to have teachers there for their their reasons more than their employees having long weekends!

6. Short answer is no. Any changes to agreed hours is a contractual change, Consult your union rep, and if not happy with the response (not all reps have attended training courses) speak to your local secretary or regional office. If they are cutting hours that could be viewed as redunancy.

7. On a similar note, could anyone help understand my situation?
    I returned after mat leave at Christmas and requested a temporary reduction from F/T to 0.6 for the remaining two terms of the academic year. This was agreed (by governors) but I did not sign a new contract. I have done 3 days per week in a block until now.
    I spoke to HT a month ago to request resuming my F/T job. He said to leave it with him.
    Today - 3 days before the end of the year - we are issued with new timetables, whereupon I have 3 days per week, 2 of the days being different to the ones I currently work. Nobody has approached me about these changes - timetable was just there for me to collect.
    Also to collect was a letter asking me to confirm my 0.6 job as part of our new restructure.
    Can the HT do this, with no notice or consultation?

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Depends entirely on the wording of your request letter and their letter agreeing to it. If they did write back to agree!
    Not having signed a new contract makes your case for FT stronger, but if your request was for a change in hours to support you as a new mother, perhaps based on this:
    Wondering if you can return part time after maternity leave? Here's the letter!
    then invoking this right also invokes a permanent change in your hours to part time.
    You will need to talk to your union regional rep about this in either case.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

9. Thank you Theo - that's a really helpful answer.