1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part-time hours and Tax Credits

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by clg1, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Hi
    Can anyone tell me how they work out what hours they work for tax credit purposes?
    I have commented on a thread about this in the past, but am getting stressed about getting it right so would appreciate the opinions of others.
    I work 0.44 FTE but need to tick a box to say if I work 0-15 hours, 16-30something hours.
    My timetabled time is 11 hours (inc. ppa), but that doesn't reflect the hours I spend in school (2 days, 8-4 each day, no break taken) and time spent working at home (whatever our contract says about hours needed to do the job properly or something).
    Your advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Hi
    Can anyone tell me how they work out what hours they work for tax credit purposes?
    I have commented on a thread about this in the past, but am getting stressed about getting it right so would appreciate the opinions of others.
    I work 0.44 FTE but need to tick a box to say if I work 0-15 hours, 16-30something hours.
    My timetabled time is 11 hours (inc. ppa), but that doesn't reflect the hours I spend in school (2 days, 8-4 each day, no break taken) and time spent working at home (whatever our contract says about hours needed to do the job properly or something).
    Your advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

3. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Hi there, I am part time (0.7) and in my contract it gives my working hours as 22.75 a week.
    I would say you would be in the 0-15 hours bracket. My contract states that my working hours on a full day start 10 minutes before students start registration and 10 minutes after school ends. Break time is included as my working hours but lunch is not.
    Even though lunch time and evenings are often spent working, they do not form part of your contracted working hours.
    The only other thing you can do is call the tax credit helpline and ask them if they want your contracted working hours (which I expect they do) or if they want your hours including out of school working hours.

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Surely you only put down the hours you are actually paid for?

5. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Contact hours is definitely the wrong figure to use, as nobody can do the job in the contact hours only.
    If full-time is taken as 1265 hours over 39 weeks, that's 32.4 hours a week, and 0.44 of that is 14.3. But how many full-timers do just 32.4 hours? That would be something like 8.30 to 3.30 with half an hour for lunch.
    You
    might be able to persuade them to work on the basis of a full-time
    teacher working 37.5 hours (a fairly standard notional figure for a
    full-time week), in which case 0.44 would be 16.5. But if you mention the 1265/39 first, they'll probably want to use that.
    I'd be inclined to ring someone at the appropriate office and ask them to confirm your calculation, along the lines of "Shall I assume that full-time is 37.5 hours, and work out 0.44 of that?" If you can get a yes to that, you can put down 16+ with a clear conscience. As far as I can make out, they don't have a consistent policy on teachers, so it may depend who you talk to!

6. Thanks frustum, that sounds like a great way forward. If get a voice of reason on the other end of the phone I will post a reply incase others have the same problem.

7. Hi - I was wondering if you got any answers? I work 0.4 and the school offically pays me for 13 hours a week. Is this all I can claim for?

8. Those 2 links a really useful and certainly back up the position a teacher is in.
    (Without digging it out to check) there is something in teachers pay and conditions that says whatever hours are needed to get the job done.
    Contract and contact hours are different - we couldn't fulfil our contract if we only carried out our contact hours.
    The Teachers Workload Diary Survey (from Dept for Ed) found that Secondary classroom teachers worked on average 49.9 hours a week.
    In the end I phoned and used Frustums suggestion (0.44 of 37.5 right?) and got a yes.
    The documents linked above back that up, the Diary Survey would suggest even more hours and I do tutoring on top of all of that.
    For 0.40 - using the 37.5 hours per week you would get 15 hours...........the Diary Survey hours would take you over that.
    Depending on your circumstances it might not make any difference anyway. As a lone parent you need to be working 16+ hours, but as part of a couple your combined hours need to be 24+ with one of you working 16+ hours.