1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time hours 0.6fte

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by music1421, Jun 22, 2019.

1. music1421

music1421 New commenter

Hi all,
    I've just been sent a letter regarding my change from full time to part time teaching. I have requested to work 3 days a week (which has been stated as 0.6fte. I'm hoping this is correct. Along with this, my hours are 16.5 hours a week - is this correct also? If anyone has any knowledge on this, I'd greatly appreciate it, as I want to make sure everything is right before I agree to it.

Many thanks in advance!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

We can't say as we don't know your particular hours. For example in Primary an average day is 5 hours so 25 hours a week and 0.6 would be 15 hrs. But when I've worked in Sec, some of those days were up to 6.05 hours a day so 30 hrs and 25 mins a week.

Assuming 16.5 is 3/5 that should mean you work 5 and a half hours a day.

3. music1421

music1421 New commenter

Thanks for your help - tbh I'm not exactly sure of my contracted working hours either! I'm primary and work from 8:30-12:30, then 1:15-3:15. I calculated this to be 6 hours, (which should be 18 hours in total) yet I've been given 16.5 hours!
    Plus, I still don't know about PPA time yet...

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

There is a difference, in contract terms, between "3 days a week" and "0.6 fte". The latter means they can turn round next year and ask you to work every morning.

I would guess that the 16.5 hours may be the number of hours of teaching (not including assemblies and breaks) and PPA, as that is what is used to work out your part-time proportion (by dividing it by the total for a full-timer). Your directed time will include the other bits, as it does for full-timers.

5. Lara mfl 05

Could it be that Assembly /registration / break time doesn't count as 'teaching time'? These may 'technically' be 'trapped time' but may not part of the statutory hours.
    Edit. Just seen frustrum's post which does make sense as yes PPA needs to be included and yes a contract specifying 0.6 does mean changes could be made from 3 days in future years.

6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

The other thing to bear in mind, if discussing the 3 days / 0.6fte bit with them, is that if you get it saying "across 3 days", then that still doesn't specify days. If the choice of days is crucial to you, try to get them specified. If they're not crucial, but you have childcare to arrange, you might want to ask whether something can be added in about what notice will be given of a change of day. It's not usually a problem in primaries, but it's not unknown for heads to suddenly decide on a change, oblivious to the fact that your childminder doesn't work Mondays, or your partner's working days fit around yours.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Lara mfl 05

Again very good points made by frustrum, especially about any problems with a change making on childcare arrangements.

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

What @frustum says

You've asked to work 3 days a week. What you have been offered is 0.6 contract. They are not the same thing!

With a 0.6 contract your head could spread your contracted hours across all 5 days of the week, and at different times each day. If what you want (and thought you had agreed) is, eg, to work only all day Monday Tuesday and Wednesday and no other days then that is what your contract needs to say. That doesn't mean that the days can't changed in the future if the school needs a different working pattern from you, but it does mean that future changes can only be done with the agreement of both you and the school - the head wouldn't be able to change it unilaterally.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. music1421

music1421 New commenter

Thanks for that - I totally agree and that's what I'm going to raise tomorrow. My job title is also wrong, so I've got a lot of fussing to do - I hope they honour any changes!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

All schools have to have a directed time budget. This sets out all directed time activities including parents evenings, form time, etc. Thus the 0.6 is not just teaching time, but will be made up of fractionals of non-teaching directed time. 3x5 hours plus 39 times 90 minutes for form time, assemblies, parents evenings etc.

annascience2012 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. BarryIsland

BarryIsland New commenter

Not according to the Burgundy Book. 0.6 is a proportion of the school teaching timetable excluding registration/ assembly etc.

However academies don't have to follow the Burgundy Book.....

12. frustum

frustum Star commenter

The proportion someone is employed for is worked out from their teaching+PPA time, compared to that of other teachers.
    If that gives 0.6, their directed time is then 0.6 of 1265 hours.

So the 0.6 comes from the teaching time, but then determines directed time. Both calculations should reflect the 0.6 in the end.

strawbs likes this.