1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time hours. 0.5 fte

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by the apprentice, May 3, 2016.

1. the apprentice

the apprentice New commenter

long time no posting on here,and haven't things changed! But hoping that everyone is as happy to help as when l last logged on...2or3 years ago!
    My hours at nursery may be increased from 1 day to 2 and a half days. 0.5 fte. The contract has apparently been set up already with no discussion although the head is going to speak to me tomorrow. Our sessions are 3 hours long ,but when on supply l claim 3.15 or 6.30 for a day. I'm in school for over an hour extra each time I'm in and realise this is "professional. But my question is the head has said the contract is for 16 hours which means l am missing .15 ( 15 mins per week) Is this right? Can she just say 0.5 is 16 hours? Don't want to cause a fuss over an hour a month but l would prefer to have the money than not! My role is PPA / SEN cover so no additional staff meetings etc. Hope someone can help. Thanks

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Normally, the calculation of the fte is done by dividing (your teaching hours + timetabled non-contact time) by (the total teaching hours in the school timetable). So if that's 15 hours for you, and the school timetable is 25 hours, that would be 0.6. However if they're working off a nursery timetable of 30 hours, 15/30 is 0.5. I'm not sure whether the issue of nursery hours being longer than the rest of the school has been resolved - you might want to ask your union about that. And make sure you've checked whether your 2.5 days includes the PPA time.
    Suppose your contract is 0.5. Your directed time is then 0.5x1265 hours, which is about 16.2 hours a week. Any directed extra before/after session time and meetings come out of that.

3. the apprentice

the apprentice New commenter

That's very helpful. Thank you very much. I spoke to the head today and also contacted pay roll. Apparently, a teachers week is 32 hours, so half is 16 hours'.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hope you enjoy the extra time! And the fact that they are increasing your hours does show how much they appreciate you.

Best wishes