1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time HoD, reduction in hours.

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by clg1, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Hi

I would welcome some advice about my pay situation.

In accordance with STPCD I am being pro-rata to be HoD of a large department.

I carry out 98% minimum of the required tasks as the previous (full-time) post holder did.

I resent being paid only 2/3 of what they were paid. I am in school 4 days a week, contactable on the 5th and do much of the HoD work from home.

I have raised this before but end up getting no where.

Having seen my timetable for Sept, my hours are being reduced. I will therefore be being paid even less for doing the same job which feels like a real kick in the teeth.

This is also an 'acting' role - it has been that way for 2 years now, and will be continuing into a 3rd. How long is it reasonable to continue 'acting' rather being made a permanent contract? I want to continue in the role, I believe I do a good job. I am very frustrated however by the pay situation, and in light of that, the lack of flexibility or good will that I imagine ought to be afforded to someone doing 1/3 of a job for free.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received. It's all getting me down somewhat this evening.

Thanks!

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Firstly, what does your contract say about your hours? If it says you are employed as 0.67, then they can't just reduce that. Have they said that's their intention, or are you just assuming from the timetable?

One way around the pro-rata pay issue is to persuade them to pay you for extra hours. They could pay you for a bit more management time than they would give a full-time HoD, which would offset things. It's something you could try making a case for, especially if they're claiming "our hands are tied by the STPCD".

It's possible, of course, that they are reducing your teaching hours for next year, but not your pay - which will give you that extra management time. It won't increase your pay, but it will make the pay reflect the workload better. Perhaps they've even thought "we're overstaffed in this subject, but maybe this will solve the problem of clg being underpaid for what he/she is doing".

If they are reducing your pay too, presumably the fact that your post is "acting" may give you the option of saying that you wish to relinquish it. If they want to keep you, it might encourage them to consider upping your hours - it's not going to cost any more than paying a full-timer to take over the role.

3. Thanks for your reply.

There is an agreement (presumably documented - will hunt) that they can change the hours of a part-timer by 10%.

I was called in to be told my hours are reducing. For the past few years, I've been allowed to do my PPA from home to maximise my contact hours on all other days. I was told before half term that this would be continuing (verbal agreement) but they have gone back on their word and reduced my hours to enable PPA is in school time.

There is no sound reason for this as another colleague wishes to reduce their hours.

I have also been told verbally a while back that they would really like to be increasing my hours.

I have suggested the additional non-contact hours idea before, but they won't go for it,.

I've suggested additional flexibility before to compensate for lack of pay, but they make everything as difficult as possible (my attendance record is excellent - occasionally I request non-teaching time off to go to e.g. school nativity - this was turned down).

My line manager is about as helpful as a chocolate tea pot and will not stand up for anyone.

I am so fed up with it all. I could relinquish the additional responsibility but I do enjoy doing it and I do it well. Unfortunately they would just say 'fine' and the fact that they would then have to pay someone (actually there isn't anyone else) the full TLR would not even occur to them.

4. "I resent being paid only 2/3 of what they were paid. I am in school 4 days a week, contactable on the 5th and do much of the HoD work from home"

I was trying to work out how to post a picture of a mug, but gave up. I'm afraid it's just tough. Either put up with it or walk. SLT like nothing better than an easy pushover and that's you.

5. Alevelteacher, fortunately your post made me laugh. It was going to be either that or cry.

I don't want to be taken for a mug. I will indeed walk if I can't fix it.

What I really want to do is change it though.

We have a very young female work force. There will be lots of babies, and most likely part time requests in the future. Before they hound me out I want to change things so this doesn't happen to the next part timer - their only argument is 'that's how it has always been'.