1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time hard to come by

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Depressedandbroken, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Depressedandbroken

Depressedandbroken New commenter

As a result of my depression, I can only work part time teaching maths. I am struggling to find such roles. I have been applying for teaching and non teaching roles but now am feeling despondent after so many rejections. I have sometimes made it as far as the last two...usually me (at nearly 50) and an NQT...only to be pipped at the post. All of this is taking its toll. Any tips?

2. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

Dear Depressedandbroken,

Would tutoring work for you? This time of year is a good time to start tutoring and it may offer you the flexibility that you require as you continue to locate a part time position within schools.

Part time roles can be hard to come by (you did not say how many days a week you are looking to work, whether you expressed the desire to work part time at interview or have gone for part time roles).

What feedback did you receive in the roles where you were pipped to the post? Does this provide something tangible that you could work upon in readiness for your next interview?

Regards,

Bukky

agathamorse likes this.
  3. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

Keep applying for the positions that come up but in the mean time do some supply teaching work with an agency.
    Unfortunately, there are fewer part time teaching roles out there because schools want consistency and having part time teachers won’t enable that. I suppose it depends school by school.
    In my school (primary), all teaching staff that are allocated a class are full time, there are 2 teaching colleagues who are part time but they do not have a full class responsibility and they cover classes for absent teachers, provide intervention support to under performing students or create resources.

4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Might be worth sending your c.v. to schools in the area you’d be able to teach (state and independent?) offering your services as a part-time Maths teacher, or someone who could support the Maths teaching/intervention/booster groups etc. You never know - something may come from this approach. It’s positive and proactive. You won’t get replies from perhaps most of the schools you approach, but potentially you only need one response!
    Send a hard copy as well as or instead of an email - emails often get overlooked and attachments never opened.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you are happy to work part-time but across all five days of the week, it's worth saying that you'd consider this, as it can make a significant difference. If someone is working three days a week, it's almost impossible to timetable their groups to only happen on those days, so you end up with several split classes. I found I preferred to have my teaching spread across the week rather than have any full days, and it was much nicer to have my own groups that I taught for all their lessons. The timetablers (three different schools) did their best to avoid trapped time, and if I did have some, I could use it to get the marking done, or sometimes to do something completely non-school related. A bitty timetable is no good for someone with childcare to organise, but it might work for you.