1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part-time GTP / EBITTs in the North East...can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by communitymuso, Jan 24, 2011.

1. [I originally posted this in the student teachers forum (with a different heading), but had no response. [​IMG] I really do need some advice, so I thought I'd see if it fares any better here - hope that's ok!]
    Hi.
    I've been looking into part-time options for teacher training, as I have a health condition which generally prevents me from be able to manage a regular full-time working week. Although ideally I'd be best off working shorter hours each day, for the sake of being in the job I really want, I could manage a typical job-share situation as a teacher (e.g. 2 or 2.5 days a week). However, I have to train first, and herein lies the problem!
    I was actually accepted on to a full-time SCITT course a couple of years ago, but my health worsened around the same time, and I wasn't able to accept the place. Since then, I've found every PGCE/SCITT that's described as "part-time" seems to include at least one full-time placement, which is just not feasible for me. I know GTP can be done part-time (and I'd prefer GTP anyway), but I can't find an EBITT in my area (North East England) which offers it, and moving isn't really an option. Although I've heard some EBITTs will take you on even if you're not quite in their area? Does anyone know anything about this?
    Is anyone out there on a course which is completely part-time? Or does anyone have any other suggestions/advice for me? All help gratefully received - I'm not ready to give up on my dream yet!
    Thank you.

2. Hi, thank you for replying to me.
    I didn't know that about the funding. I've found a few EBITTs (but none anywhere near me) who advertise part-time places, with a minimum of 50% time per week, so I'd assumed from that that it was feasible? I have looked at the "flexible" university courses, but every single one includes at least one full-time placement (usually the long one), and so is still impossible for me. Do you think there's any point in either: asking a local EBITT to consider me as a (presumably their only) p/t trainee? Or asking an EBITT further away, which does offer p/t places, if they'll consider me despite being out of their area?
    With regards to my health, I'd rather not go into details on here, but I know there are a lot of existing teachers with the same condition as me (albeit to varying degrees of severity). I do appreciate though that teaching is an extremely demanding and exhausting job - that is why I gave up the idea of trying a full-time course, as I really didn't want to drop out!

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You will find that most ITT training does include " full time" placements usually the only way that the minimum school days can be met. The availability of courses will also vary according to whether you are training primary or secondary. Looking beyond just the training stage serving an NQT induction in a school prepared to take you part time can be extremely difficult to find.
    if you are still in university or have recently graduated then you can use the university careers service for specific individual advice and I would recommend this