1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time granted but ongoing review of it

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by newgeogteach, Nov 6, 2019.

1. newgeogteach

newgeogteach New commenter

Hello,

I’m wondering if anyone can help as I’m really stress about this.
    I’m due to return to work soon after maternity leave. In a meeting with the Head in March I was granted the opportunity to go down to working 4 days as this fit with restructuring in the school. I was told that this was permanent.
    I’ve just received my new contract through and it now says ‘to be confirmed’. In a call with the HR rep at school she said that the Head doesn’t want to grant me 4 days as ‘permanent’ anymore and instead wants to review it in 6 months then review this yearly ongoing.
    I’m so worried that this means I’ll constantly be on the edge of never knowing whether I’ll be able to be 4 days and then having the worry of having to reorganise family life.
    Is there anything I can do to stop this?!

thank you

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You need to get advice from your union. If the reduction from 5 days to 4 was the result of a formal flexible working request then the change is "permanent" unless at the time a specific review period was included (which ought to have applied to both parties!).

I'm not clear exactly how the discussion came about and what documentation you have about the change. Your union needs to see all the documentation.

strawbs likes this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

They have to respond to the flexible working request within a given time frame. That doesn't mean "respond and then change their mind later". I think that unless there is any documentation that your request was refused (or granted only with provisos) back in March, it has already been granted. But ask your union.

Piscean1 likes this.