1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time...full time responsibility

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by willow1, Mar 4, 2018.

1. willow1

willow1 New commenter

Hi
    After some advice on my current situation please.
    I work 0.5 (2.5 days) and started the year job sharing, however my job share partner has been seconded & replaced with a supply teacher. This arrangement is expected to last for the remainder of the academic year.
    My new job share partner is only expected to teach & mark. I now have full responsibility for planning, assessment, data, pupil progress meetings, reports, class assemblies etc. I attend all staff meetings as they fall on a working day.
    2 weeks in to this arrangement and I'm feeling completely overwhelmed. I've planned 15 lessons this week alone and I'm being bombarded with emails on non working days by staff asking for various other bits & pieces to be completed. When I'm not working I am at home caring for my 2 young children. The only time I have is evenings when they are both in bed. With my previous job share I would work Sun, mon, tue and often weds evening after working a 7.45-5.45 day. I'm finding that I'm now having to work every night and weekends just to keep on top of things.
    I've contacted the slt twice to ask for a meeting to look at my workload but have received no response.
    They can't reasonably expect me to do all of this can they?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

0.5 FTE means you work half the time of full time teacher not necessarily that you are only required to half the amount of planning or other specific tasks. So in principle school can ask you to do all the planning, etc, in the situation you are in. BUT, and this a key but, they can only expect you can do that if you can do it within 0.5 of time. Unsurprisingly you probably can't. So either they need to distribute some of the tasks to someone else and/or give you more non-contact time.

3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I know of a similar situation at the moment. The supply teacher has been paid a bit extra to at least plan her own lessons. However, you should be given some extra non contact time for data entry, reports etc. At the very least, have they adjusted your PPA time to match full timers?

install likes this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Are you in a Union? If not, join today. If so, you may want to contact them ASAP.

I think - as a first step - you may have to tell the supply teacher and the school - that in future your childcare responsibilities and home life/work life balance means you won't be able to respond to requests sent to your home at times you are not working. And stick to it. No checking emails/texts etc. (If nec. change your email/phone number!)

install, Tinycat1234 and Piranha like this.
  5. install

install Star commenter

This sounds very stressful and may be making you ill. I would see gp and contact Union at the same time.

It may be that a Review is needed of how realistic your workload is and of any added pressure and work stress that this is putting on you. Your line manager hasn't been mentioned ? Could they support you here?

Employers have a duty of care to ensure that your job expectations are agreed as being fair. The lack of response possibly indicates an 'ostrich head in the sand approach'. And a Union may be able to ascertain a better way forward in the nicest possible way.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    phlogiston and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

0.5 or 2.5 days means that you get half pay. It doesn't mean that you only do half the work.

7. willow1

willow1 New commenter

Does a job share not mean that you share a full time post? By 'share' I would expect responsibilities to be split 50/50
    That isn't happening.
    I am having to work a significant number of extra hours to complete what is essentially the workload of a full time member of staff.

install likes this.
  8. install

install Star commenter

Yes - you share half the hours of the fulltime post if the hrs/roles are identical BUT there is usually some agreement over accountability, marking, reports, parents evenings etc to avoid any crossover. And of course, in a good school there is usually time when you can both meet to discuss any issues/approaches/concerns/items to report to your line managers.

The issue here also seems to be one of accountability as well as increased workload. You need to clarify if this has changed or not? Has your level of accountability increased? And who is accountable for setting and checking the Supply teacher's work?

9. willow1

willow1 New commenter

Yes I think you've hit the nail on the head Re accountability.
    I am fully accountable for my class including planning for the supply and overseeing her work.
    When I can't produce something on time or reply to emails that require a response that day I feel unprofessional and it's causing me real anxiety

install likes this.
  10. install

install Star commenter

Then see gp asap and Union as already suggested. Also seek full clarification from your line manager about your role and accountability. If it has massively changed and/or if it is making you ill, you need to be supported.

11. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Employers have a duty of care but it doesn't require that.

It's to prevent employees from harm:

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3751

Take professional advice outside this forum, from your union or a solicitor, if you want to accuse your school of breaching their legal duty of care to you. It's a serious allegation.

JohnJCazorla and Eflmeister like this.
  12. install

install Star commenter

Work related stress is harmful - so your Union / Employer if necessary can agree to do a Work Stress Assessment if that is the case here.

Remember to never rely for advice in on line forums alone...and I hope it all goes well and that things improve for you. No need to accuse your employer of anything - you just want support. But again check with your Union - always the best thing to do.

Good luck..

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018