1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time dilemma

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by twitterers, Dec 9, 2018.

1. twitterers

twitterers New commenter

I've gone to 0.5 part time but have NO idea about what I need to go to in terms training/parents evening etc....

So one example, in January we have two training days and I do work a full day on the Monday which is fine but only 2 hours on the Tuesday. I have already attended a full day of training in September so no idea what I can/don't need to attend.

Help appreciated

2. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

My understanding is that training days are pro rata, so you would attend 2 1/2 of them. However, if they are on a day you normally work, this is open to interpretation. If you have a good HoD, ask.
    As for parents' evenings, you cannot be made to attend on a day you do not work. However, this is often deeply unpopular with SLT and may not be easy to uphold.
    If you do attend, you can ask for time off in lieu or payment. However, this is often deeply unpopular with SLT and may not be easy to uphold.
    Meetings are also part of directed time and you can only be expected to attend half of them. However, this is often deeply unpopular with SLT and may not be easy to uphold...;)
    Part time has hazards all of its own, but it does usually give you a better work-life balance!

agathamorse likes this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I'd attend the Monday one & the 2 hours of the Tuesday one, and claim that is close enough to 0.5 of INSET days to finish them off for you for the year. (You could always attend 2.5/3.0 hours of the Tuesday one to remove any questions...)

agathamorse and Curae like this.
  4. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

Assuming school follows STPCD:
    51.9. Subject to paragraph 51.10, no teacher employed part-time may be required to be available for work on any day of the week or part of any day of the week on which the teacher is not normally required to be available for work under their contract of employment (whether it is for the purposes of teaching pupils and performing other duties or for the sole purpose of performing other duties).
    51.10. Subject to paragraphs 51.6 and 51.11, a part-time teacher may be required to carry out duties, other than teaching pupils, outside school sessions on any day on which the teacher is normally required to be available for work (whether the teacher is normally required to be available for work for the whole of that day or for only part of that day).

So:
    any event (of any type) happening on a full day off = cannot be directed to attend
    any event (of any type) happening during your part day off = cannot be directed to attend
    any event (of any type) happening after a part day off = grey area. Some schools will direct you to attend, some will be more flexible

In terms of your training days, yes to all day Mon, yes to the hours you are contracted fort on tues - and if beneficial to you/school and you can attend full day, then stay and claim payment.

There is NOT (despite many appearing to suggest there is) a rule "attend the number of training days pro rata in line with your contract". Directed time does not get divide up like that. Your TOTAL Directed time is 0.5 of the 1265 limit, but it does NOT mean that each element (eg inset) gets divided up.

Speak to your in school rep as they will undoubtedly have dealt with this and SLT before

agathamorse and Curae like this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

This!

If all parents evenings are on Thursdays and you work Mon - Weds, then you don't go to any of them.
    If they are all on Mondays and you work Mon-Weds, then you go to all of them.
    Similarly INSET days.

Speak to your school about the Tues INSET. You might be able to negotiate which two hours you attend. Or, if it works for you, attend two hours on the Mon and all day on the Tues. Be prepared to negotiate a little and give and take, but you don't need to work on any day you wouldn't normally.

agathamorse, strawbs and Curae like this.
  6. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

This is excellent advice and facts for OP and any other thinking of going PT.
    I love TES WPD
    Curae xxx:):)

mothorchid, agathamorse and strawbs like this.
  7. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Yes negotiating is always helpful if OP can ...maybe going pt was because OP is not available but as you say it's always a good idea to give and take.

agathamorse likes this.