1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

part time days

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by newmummy1, Sep 12, 2014.

1. newmummy1

newmummy1 New commenter

I wondered if you could help me with something. I am currently on maternity leave and due to return to work in April.

When I went on mat leave I was working Mon, Tues, Wed (my substantive contract is only 2 days though). I wish to return 2 days Monday and Tuesday but my head wants me to work Thurs and Friday instead and join a job share. This will be after Easter. This will be difficult for me with childcare and family commitments. Do I have any say in which days I work? I have had mixed messages on this from various colleagues.

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Unless your contract specifics specific days, I'm afraid you don't. Your head could, and it does happen, direct your hours across all 5 days if they choose to. It is wise to speak to them and convey your preference, but if they have good business reasons why that can't be accommodated there is little you can do.

3. newmummy1

newmummy1 New commenter

Many thanks.