1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time college course/open university while teaching...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by captain oats, Sep 14, 2011.

1. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I am feeling frustrated and bored at the moment. I am in my 5th year of teaching and I just feel that my life is going nowhere!
    The thought of teaching until retirement fills me with dread. I have been thinking a lot recently about going back to college to learn something new. I need something to challenge me as I feel like I am just drifting along at the moment.
    I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of going to college part time (or doing an open university course) Is it worthwhile? Was it hard to manage? Also, what did you study? (That last one is just because I am nosey!)

2. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I am feeling frustrated and bored at the moment. I am in my 5th year of teaching and I just feel that my life is going nowhere!
    The thought of teaching until retirement fills me with dread. I have been thinking a lot recently about going back to college to learn something new. I need something to challenge me as I feel like I am just drifting along at the moment.
    I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of going to college part time (or doing an open university course) Is it worthwhile? Was it hard to manage? Also, what did you study? (That last one is just because I am nosey!)

3. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Hi, I too have been feeling restless and have been thinking very seriously about a return to college. I was toying with doing a masters this year, however having met my class, I realise this isn't going to be a good time for me to focus on that, and my class need a lot of support...

I've now enrolled in an evening course, learning to paint and draw. It might be slightly different for you as I ca't tell if you're looking for an alternative to teaching or something to do... But I chose painting and drawing as i've always wanted to learn to do it, and it won't lead to anything, so no pressure....... However I do see myself doing my masters next year...

4. I studied AS biology during my NQT year (because I had A level physics and chemistry and wanted all 3 sciences!) and I did an OU course recently to help get myself on to a university course.
    I taught part time (0.8) during both courses and I found it quite challenging (timewise) as I was in school 5 days a week both times. It was very enjoyable though and nice to be on the other side of the classroom!
    They were/are both worthwhile, especially because I am going back to university to re-train and I needed to see if I could still manage study 8 years after leaving university the first time!

5. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

I'm the same as you, Captain Oats. Teaching at our place is challenging in terms of time, behaviour, etc and it's busy, but it's not intellectually challenging and I'd love to go back and do some further study.
    Money's the big drawback, though- I was planning to do an MA in education but actually now I think I'd prefer to return to my degree subject (Politics) and do a master's in something in that field; but it's pointless thinking about it as master's degrees cost so much money. I looked into it before doing my PGCE and in London, I was looking at fees of between £3K and £12K and that was back in 2004/5. At least an MEd/MA in education could be funded by school (I think- or have I missed that boat?)