1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part Time & Being Valuable

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by pleasemiss__, Jun 11, 2018.

1. pleasemiss__

pleasemiss__ Occasional commenter

Hi. I’m starting a new p/t roll in September and I was wondering whether anyone could share their experiences on how you’ve made sure that you make an impact at school while being part time and not in every day. I don’t want to be thought of as less effective because I’m a part timer.

I’m used to working a full teaching timetable and being in school every day, being a well known presence. If this is a stupid question, I’m sorry... but are there any ways / anything I should do that will make me extra effective as a part time teacher? I want the school to feel like I’m worthy of employment, and I would like to return to full time work when my child is a little older.

I don’t want to be an invisible part timer.
    That would be my worst. I guess I just need to plan well and teach my lessons well, implement the behaviour policy, have high expectations, Do my job?

I’m used to having my own space at school. It will be tough to adapt to being on other teachers’ turf. I liked having displays and things of children’s work.

Blah blah. I don’t know what I’m talking about any more.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Primary or secondary? And what sort of timetable?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. pleasemiss__

Secondary and 0.6.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You may be better off in Secondary, because many staff teach in different classrooms anyway and have less opportunity to 'claim a room and make it their own with displays etc.
    On a practical point, definitely get yourself some type of 'trolley' to move resources from room to room.

As to making an impact, well contributing to resources, SoW, clubs etc would all be ways of maintaining your ability to impact, but by the very nature of p/t it does make one 'out on a limb'. Ensuring students complete work on time, if you're not there to collect the books means you may have to spend more time chasing on the days you are there etc.

gingerhobo48 and agathamorse like this.
  5. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

Not sure if you are starting in a new school, presuming you are, in which case it will take time to "get known" anyway.
    In terms of making an impact with the pupils, I think the consistent behaviour route is a good one to follow to be visible and be known - eg if you have a free after break being in the corridor chivvying pupils into class; that way lots of pupils who you don't know you will get to know you! Also what about the pastoral route - will you be a tutor? Share a tutor group? Be attached to a particular year group/house? Again that gets you known a bit more.
    Finally what about (once you have got up and running of course!) helping to run a club?
    All those will get you known by pupils and other staff. For staff as well, see if there are any staff lunchtime/after school activities - eg is there a "go to the pub on a Friday" group, or a "let's do lunch in the staff room on a Monday" bunch?

6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Unless a class is split with another teacher, the pupils in it may not even be aware that you are part-time! I did 0.6-0.75 in one school, and there was no issue of not feeling a full part of things. It possibly helped that I did have my own room, and department-wise I was an unofficial second in department and wrote SoW, etc. Also, there was only one staff room, so it was easy to get to know other staff. If there are multiple staff rooms, it can be hard to get to know staff in other departments, even when full-time.
    I did about 0.25 in a couple of other schools, where it was harder - I was only teaching a couple of groups, so few pupils knew me, and there were multiple staff rooms so there were staff I didn't meet.
    Claim some display board space - some teachers will be quite happy to let you have one of the boards in a room you use, and offers to do a corridor display are unlikely to be refused. Participate in whatever is going on.

7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Perhaps you need to think about it differently, just because you are part time it does not mean you are less valuable in fact in some cases peoples flexibility can be very valuable indeed also you will be fresh and more able to cope when you are in. The idea of job enlargement adding to your value is a bit counter productive, you don't what to end up being one of the many part timers doing a full time job for half the money (or thereabouts) do you?

Hope it goes well for you.

8. pleasemiss__

Thank you everyone for your brilliant responses.

9. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

Do assemblies, I think this gives people a high profile on a school.