1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part Time and Training Days

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by becktonboy, Sep 1, 2011.

1. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

No. Check the STPCD it has extensive provisions concerning part time working, one being that part timers can not be required to work on any day not included in their contract.- you might have another P/T job or regular commitment on that day. Personally I would attend a few INSET days such as the first one of the year but only to keep in the loop and I would make it clear that I knew I didn't have to attend.

2. ..and if you do attend on days you do not usually work, make sure you get paid.

3. coppull

coppull New commenter

2011 copy of School Teachers' Pay and Conditions Document is now available on Department of Education web site.
    Always worth having a copy,to e-mail or give a copy out ,when those who claim to know your conditions of service are trying it on.[​IMG]

4. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

thanks for update coppull

5. I'm part time, working mornings only. How does it work if we have a whole day staff training?

6. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Simple, you either leave at lunchtime or arrange to be paid for the afternoon.
    You may very well have additional part time work somewhere else. Remember that you are not simply cheaper labour.

7. missgeo

missgeo New commenter

I was told that you could either be paid or not attend a day later in the year.

8. thanks both of you
    PSM

9. Thank you for bringing this up.

I am new to part time teaching having changed my contract from full time to work at home 2 days a week on my own business.

I went into school on monday to attend INSET thinking it was an additional day. I asked the office how I claim and she said that she would get me an additional hours sheet. When I came in on Wednesday my head asked to speak to me. He said 'why did you ask for an additional hours sheet?'. He went on to say that as I was working a 0.6 contract that I was expected to attend 3 INSET days this year as part of my contract (i.e. without extra pay). I said I didn't understand why, his explanation is that INSET is on top of the teaching days.

So I went away thoroughly confused and realised that it didn't make sense at all. I don't think he is trying to trick me out of the pay, I think this is genuinely how he understands it. So a lot of research later I am now very clear that as Monday was not part of my usual working hours that he needs to pay me. Now I'm unsure what to do, I want the school to remain flexible and don't want to seem demanding, i'm due to go on Maternity in February and want to keep things as easy as possible in that time.

10. This is so useful. I've been part time for nearly a year now, following 11 months off with stress, I was grateful to be able to return part time. Last year there seemed to be less expectation, but I have already attended the training day on the first day of term, and have now been asked to attend the training day on the Monday after half term (my working days are Wed, Thurs, Fri). I don't mind doing a bit extra as a one off - this week I went on our trip on a Monday, but I'm concerned that I am being taken advantage of.

My head seemed to be of the opinion that I have to attend a certain amount of INSET, but I feel I should either be paid, or get time off in lieu - advice welcomed!

11. When I was part time I always worked the percentage of Inset Days according to my percentage week. So if I was working 0.6 then I did 0.6 of the training days (3 of them) and the same percentage of staff meetings. So I think your head is right but if you can't do the days because they always fall on days you don't work then you must make up the time in after school meeetings on days you do.

12. What you have to do is determined by STPCD 2011, not by your head. You do not have to attend INSET days on your days off!
    Section 62.8
    'Subject to sub-paragraph 9, no teacher employed part-time may be required to be available for work on any day of the week or part of any day of the week that the teacher is not normally required to be available for work under their contract of employment (whether it is for the purposes of teaching pupils and performing other duties or for the sole purpose of performing other duties).'
    If you work for say 0.6 of the week, then this is the MAXIMUM proportion of extra duties that you have to attend. It is up to the head to arrange the INSET days so you can attend the maximum proportion on the days you work. He cant require you to go in on other days to make up any shortfall.

<font size="3">

</font>

13. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Lizbert, I don't think you can automatically claim for the inset day. If an inset day falls on your non-working day, then it is possible for you to attend and be paid by mutual agreement. The school is entitled to say that they aren't prepared to spend the extra on paying you to come in. (They may then give you the option of attending without pay, but that's entirely up to you. Even if it's going to be really useful to you, there's an argument for not doing so, just because they won't then ever offer pay.)
    If the school said you must attend that inset day, then it would be reasonable to say that you had assumed that that meant they would pay. But if you just turned up, they could say that was your choice.

14. Lots of nonsense referred to here - especially the last few posts.

You do NOT have to attend a proprtion of training/staff meetings/meetings that occur on your day off. The proprtion only applies to days that you do work ie a head asking someone who works 2 days a week to attend one staff meeting a week.
    You have the right to attend all training on days that occur on days that you don't work and the school is obliged to pay you whether they want to or not. I suppose that you could insist obn attending ALL staff meetings that occur on days that you don't work and insist on being paid for these as well?
    Both examples above are non-negotiable. A school trying to force part time teachers to work hours that are in excess of those done by full time teachers or to deny part time staff training that is available to full time staff are effectively discriminating against part time staff and (since the mjority of part time staff are women) this is viewed as indirect discrimination and can lead to major problems for headteachers and giovernors who think that they know better.
    This is not my opinion it is legal fact. The rules were changed recently to prevent the sort of discrimination that had gone on for years. It seems that some HTs have not even bothered to keeep up with the changes.
    As an aside, its amazing how good most HTs are at keeping up to speed with all the latest initiatives/rules/policies that involve staff doing more and more ie APP/performance management etc but have a complete blind spot for those that might result in them having to do something themselves ie workload agreement/the guaranteed right to PPA etc.