1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time and TLRs

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by blazer, Feb 2, 2012.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I need a bit of guidance pleae.

Someone returns from maternity and opts to go part time having previously been full time. The person has a TLR allowance which they are happy to give up. The HT is OK with going part time but wants the person to retain their full responsibility with the TLR but is only offering to pay the pro rata pay for the TLR. In other words he/she wants the person to do the full TLR job for a fraction of the pay.

How does the person stand? I assume they could just resign the TLR anyway but can the HT expect a full TLR work for 40% of the pay?

Thanks

2. This is always the problem in teaching. TLRs are for doing a specific job, like coordinating a subject at KS3. To my mind they should pay you the full TLR if you do the full job, but they never do! If this person is only going back for 0.4 of the week, then I think ditch the TLR. Too much extra work for very little extra money. The only other alternative is to find someone else who will do the other 0.6 of the TLR role.

HTH - only my thoughts and the reason I dropped all responsibility when I went part time.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Thanks S O C. although if you are younger than me that makes me an even sadder old chemist!

4. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

As a temporary measure we had a head of science who was 0.6, but paid recruitment and retention to make the post up. This was due to the fact she had returned pregnant form mat leave and was to be going again soon. When she came back the 2nd time the 0.4 was given to someone else and the role split up. There have been a fair few part time people at the schools I have worked in, but all TLRs have been shared if held by a part-timer.

5. There is fairly comprehensive guidance on the NUT site for what they recommend. You should be able to get the full TLR paid and keep the full responsibility. Working out how to pay it is a little bit tricky but fully explained. It is just laziness by SMT who say they can't pay a whole TLR to a part-timer or they can't caluclate how much time you need to be free and teaching to make it work properly. It's not rocket science, but then if you put a member of SMT in a barrel and tell them to find the corner !!

6. It is not laziness, no matter what the advice or guidance from NUT says, it is contrary to official guidance which clearly states that TLRs awarded to P/T teachers should be paid at the same proportion to time worked.

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

The words 'guidance' and 'recommend' are the key ones here. The union can guide and recommend all they like, but this has no teeth whatsoever.