1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time and supply?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by smeldred, Oct 6, 2018.

1. smeldred

smeldred New commenter

Hi does anyone work part time and also do supply? I currently work 3 days a week and am wondering if it would be possible to register with a supply agency and do a day week supply alongside? I've never done any supply before so don't know anything about it. I am keen to get a new job soon so thought it might be a way of seeing what local schools are like and getting my face known!?

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi smeldred

Welcome to the forum.

I have worked as a supply teacher for some time and have met many teachers who work part-time and do supply one or two days supply alongside their regular job. Supply is completely flexible so you can work when and where you want to. If you can't work one week or don't want to then no problem.

If you have never worked as a supply teacher before and do not know anything about it, start by reading the "New to Supply" thread pinned at the top of this forum.

The main thing when registering with agencies is to ensure you join one where you will be paid PAYE.

You could also approach schools directly to see if they use supply teachers directly without the use of agencies. This is somewhat harder, but possible and better for you.

3. smeldred

smeldred New commenter

Thanks so much for your reply that's really helpful. I will have a read of the new to supply thread!

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  4. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

You can register with any number of Supply Agencies, but there is no guarantee of getting any work.

agathamorse likes this.