1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time AND supply?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by whodbeateacher, Jan 19, 2012.

1. I work part time in a lovely school which I enjoy. I do feel a little stuck though.
    I'm thinking of doing some supply outside of my contract hours and was wondering if I'm allowed to do this? I was hoping to find out if supply is my sort of thing (bit scared!) and also having the opportunity to see how different schools work and different year groups (good professional practice I hope).
    Has anyone done this .... successfully?
    Thanks.

2. I work part time in a lovely school which I enjoy. I do feel a little stuck though.
    I'm thinking of doing some supply outside of my contract hours and was wondering if I'm allowed to do this? I was hoping to find out if supply is my sort of thing (bit scared!) and also having the opportunity to see how different schools work and different year groups (good professional practice I hope).
    Has anyone done this .... successfully?
    Thanks.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

First yes it is allowed, your contract is with your school. Certainly, as a supply myself, I've had a couple of colleagues who've done this. One was part-time and did supply in the same school and the other part-time and regular peripatetic teaching at a couple of other schools -MFL lent itself to this ,especially when Primary languages was coming in.
    However supply is few and far between these days and your unavailability at certain times/days will restrict you. I've heard some agencies won't take on people who don't have 100% availability these days. I'm registered with my own LA supply list and if your LA has one you could certainly phone them up and see. I know there are over 200+ names on that list, apart from supplies ,who make their own arrangements (retirees for example or people who will only work at certain schools) and I haven't actually had a single phone call offering work since Sept. I beilieve this situation to be fairly widespread reading these forums too.
    Now, I'm going to suggest something not everyone might agree with, but, what approaching your Head and telling her of your feeling of 'wanting to spread your wings'. It may be they can arrange for you to 'help out' in other classes (on a supernumary basis) on your non-contract hours, which would give you the ability to observe how other year groups run. Or volunteer to go in to another school for the same purpose.
    Not much help, but perhaps supply may be plentiful in your area?

4. Thank you. Lots of food for thought there. I suppose my worry was that by doing something in-house, if it didn't work out (eg I was rubbish at other year groups) I was not blotting my copybook within that school. I know that sounds very over-sensitive and lacking in confidence and probably not the case at all. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet somehow.
    I'll give it some thought. Thanks for your reply.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If you're committed to part time working on certain days you'd not get much supply work as one-off daily supply has been hit heavily by the use of Cover Supervisors. You wouldn't be able to take on any medium or long term work, or even the the odd 2-3 days by the sound of it so I think your options would be limited. This is why I won't consider working for less than a 0.6 permanent now because anything less would kill off my chances of any supply work and would leave me earning too little.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You could circulate your CV to other schools and they might well look more favourably on someone who is a serving teacher elsewhere for part of the week. You might get some PPA cover on a regular basis or the odd day of supply cover in your usual year group (or other year groups). You LA CRB should be more portable than ours- as solely supply teachers, each agency seems to require a new CRB.
    Being employed direct at another school in your LA should mean that you submit timesheets with your usual pay reference too. For LA daily paid work you should expect to get your annual salary divided by 195 (in this school year the rate is slightly more as there are only 194 school days because of the Queen's Jubilee, so salary divided by 194). Hourly rate is salary divided by 975 in a standard year and by 970 this year.
    Those rates include a pro-rata amount for holiday entitlement and sometimes PPA, so don't let a school/LA pay you an hourly rate of salary divided by 1265 as that gives you no allowance for holiday pay and none for PPA unless you are claiming for trapped time in a session and that becomes Planning time.

7. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I am in a position to do this. Am working 0.4 in a school and can do supply there on my days off if I want to.