1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part Time and split days

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by CharmedAgain, May 24, 2012.

1. Hello all,

I have been working part time for a long time but for the first time I am now in the boat that I will be expected to work split days.
    Am I right in thinking there is nothing I can do?

Thank you in avance.

2. Hello all,

I have been working part time for a long time but for the first time I am now in the boat that I will be expected to work split days.
    Am I right in thinking there is nothing I can do?

Thank you in avance.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

There isn't - except to appeal to reason and see if your head teacher can work around this. If your part time contract stipulates certain days and these are being changed you can raise that as a reason for it to remain the same as has previously.

4. That's what I feared - thank you.

5. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that they couldn't give you 'trapped' time in school, or if they did they had to pay you for it (so they couldn't give you a lesson Wednesday period 1 and one Wednesday period 5 but claim that Wednesday periods 2,3 and 4 were actually part of the week where you did not work)
    This may not be relevant in your case though.

6. I ve been offered part time, one day from 11 oclock, and then another pm only. Not sure if i should take it, as the afternoon is only 2 hours, so by the time i've got there, paid childcare etc, hardly worth it financially. It is on a supply basis, not contracted, but through LA so correct pay. I really like the school, and know if i go back to agency work, the rate will be low, and probably no work!! Will I have to stay for staff meetings ??

7. You would only stay for the proportion of staff meetings equivalent to the proprtion of week you work and only then if they fall on a day you work. You cannot be asked to attend on a day you don't work.