1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time and position of responsibility

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by Litsplint, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Litsplint

Litsplint New commenter

Is anyone part time (0.8) and holds a position of responsibility? What is it and how do you manage it when you aren’t there? My school keeps telling me I can’t do x role part time. I need some examples because this feels wrong... thanks!

2. roadwalker8

roadwalker8 Occasional commenter

I have been part time (0.8) for the past 3 years and I am head of a small department. Previously, I was in the same role, same school for several years.
    For me personally, it works well. The school certainly get their 'value for money', as I still have to complete all the HoDs workload in less time, but the flexibility that day off gives me makes it worth it. Yes, there are times on my 'day off' when I 'work', but this is at home, when I want to. You have to make it work for you. You have to delegate and let some things 'go'.
    I think the success of PT and managing responsibility depends on individual circumstances, finances and what the individual sees as important.
    I would never want to go back FT now, but expect to carry the burden of the responsibility FT, with only PT pay!

3. Litsplint

Litsplint New commenter

Thank you for replying. This is my thought exactly, having some flexibility but also getting things done on that day. This is very helpful.

4. Girlfromthenorthcountry

Girlfromthenorthcountry New commenter

I've been Head of RS in a church school (so whole year exam cohort) and 0.7 for the last 5 years. I have a great 2ic who leads when I'm not in and a good dept. overall.

I'd echo everything that @roadwalker8 said, including "expect to carry the burden of the responsibility FT, with only PT pay!'