1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part-time and parents' evenings

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by BelleDuJour, Jan 19, 2019.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Simple question that I'm sure has been on here before.
    Am I obliged to attend a parents' evening on a day/evening I don't work?

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

NO for definite if it is a full day off.
    Assuming school follows STPCD, look at para 51.9

If it is a part day off (eg work morning) and parents evening is that day, then picture is a little greyer.
    Your school should have a policy - check with your union rep

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Does anyone normally work evenings?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Imagine you are a parent who wants to talk to your child's teacher. Yet your child's teacher can't really be bothered to meet you. Been there done that. Then the said teacher had the cheek to ask my child to consider A level in her subject. No chance.
    It's even more important at primary level. But hey ho - parents aren't even paying customers. Therefore they are not important and nor is their child's future.
    Have a nice night watching Emmerdale, Corrie and EastEnders.
    Part time teachers in our local school attend parents evening - both of the job share teachers, and school events that happen on their day off e.g. sports day, school plays and school trips. I believe the head is very flexible about time off for personal events.

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We used to ask part timers in Primary, to offer another time to be available by appointment.. Parents didn't often take it up.

6. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

It's not about being bothered though, is it? It's about being paid. If the head is flexible about things, then yes... Perhaps people are more willing to make the exception. The reality is many heads are not flexible.

Are you going to get the time back? Does it make up part of your directed hours? A lot of teachers, especially part time, have caring responsibilities themselves.

Should a teacher have to arrange additional childcare at a cost to themselves in order to attend a parents evening on a day they don't work? No is the answer to that.

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Do you mean 'the school can't really be bothered to organise parents evening on a day the teacher works'?

If a teacher works part time at your child's school why do you assume they spend the rest of the week at home feet up watching Corrie? Would your harsh judgement of a teacher who declined to come in unpaid be different if they had another job to go to that day?

8. peapicker

peapicker Star commenter

No. If you are not contracted to work on the day of a parents' evening, you canot be obliged to attend (unless attendance on non-work days is a term of the contract of employment). You may choose to attend, on a voluntary basis; you and the school may agree that you will attend and be paid / given TOIL for attending; but you cannot be made to attend.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I used to attend parents' evenings on days I didn't work. In the Spring term, that was often an extra evening working (on my day off) every fortnight for most of the term, as I tended to teach every one of the year groups. My Head made some very frightening comments when I tentatively raised the concept of TOIL or payment (I was only asking for travel expenses, as it was a 45 mile round trip) in which he referred to me looking for a different school, or even a different career as I was so clearly not suited to THIS school... I was even once "required" to come all the way in, on my day off, to meet one parent.
    However, I would not recommend this as an approach!
    On the other hand, it is often useful to meet parents and to talk through a student's progress. But sometimes it is more useful than others.

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

And imagine you're the part-time teacher who drives in 40 miles or more for the evening, having arranged (& maybe paid) for childcare - no expenses being offered by the school, of course - and the parents of the pupil(s) you REALLY needed to see don't turn up? :eek:

Listen...this is 2019, why not use Skype?:confused:

11. peapicker

peapicker Star commenter

Imagine you are directed to attend to meet parents at a parents' evening on a Sunday. How would you feel about that?

12. Sinnamon

Sinnamon Established commenter

Wow:(

13. IanG

IanG Occasional commenter

Wow, just when you think you've heard it all! Shaking my head in disgust. :mad:

14. May2

May2 Established commenter

I also think it depends on how many times a year this happens. I used to be Primary working mornings and didn't really mind two evenings a year (unpaid). Obviously in a secondary school there can be many evening meetings with the various year groups. A couple in a year may be, but after that it would depend very much on the goodwill working both ways. Often I doubt if it is. I think the normal answer from unions is no, you should not be expected to. Generally it seems to depend how much you want to rock the boat if this is generally expected.
    I used to have the same problem with whole day INSET days but did speak up and was either paid or just worked half day. The problem often arises when it has been the norm for people to do it voluntary before so it becomes expected.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Did you work every morning, 5 days a week? If so you are required to attend parents evening as long overall it's within your directed time and the STPCD pro-rata requirements so it wasn't unpaid was it?

Piranha likes this.
  16. 8sycamore

8sycamore Occasional commenter

Teachers aren't there for their amusement. It is a job. Done for money. Why should someone have to sacrifice time with their own family, for free? If they are getting paid for a full day, then maybe. Otherwise, why should they have to attend work on a non-work day?

17. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

In my current school and previous school part timers had to attend parents' evening if they taught that year group. But they were paid for it. As others have said, check the school policy.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

No.
    I have done so, but I was either paid or given time off in lieu.

Curae, agathamorse and Catgirl1964 like this.
  19. creaganturic

creaganturic New commenter

Really? What if the teacher has another job on the days they are not at the school? And if I can say, Emmerdale, Corrie and EastEnders are not my cup of tea, but if that is what the teacher chooses to do on his or her off day, then so be it. Teachers do not need to be at the beck and call of SLT or parents on their own time. How about the school offers to pay the teacher for the evening or arrange parents evening on a day the teacher is actually at school. When I worked part time in a previous job, I did supply on the 2 days I was not there. They did ask me to come in one non teaching day, and I said it depends on whether I am working or not. I think they expected me to refuse a supply job and be there for no extra pay. So then they said to come in after my supply job and they will arrange my appointments a bit later. I smiled and left. That day, I took a job which was about an hour north of where I lived and my regular job was an hour South. As I left the supply school, I called to say the journey would take two hours, so I would not be there. They were not happy, but I am also not a slave.

Curae, FrauRussell, Sinnamon and 6 others like this.
  20. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Awful response, what limited and uninitiated suggestions. Blame culture embodied.
    This is the voice of somebody who lives to work.
    Enjoy.

bevdex, Curae, aypi and 11 others like this.