1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time and panicking

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Burntcakes, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Burntcakes

Burntcakes New commenter

I have recently taken early retirement at the age of 58. My pension is small, so I thought that I would apply for part time work. I have just been offered a .57, but the hours seem excessive now that I have been presented with the timetable. Breaks are excluded and amount to 210 minutes over a two week timetable. This is when I am in school, but not being paid. I am working 7 days out of ten - never less than a 4 hr day, beginning at 8 am most mornings with several 9 am starts (breaks not factored in), and 4 days are between 5 hrs and 5.33 hrs. The total paid hours are 19.67. The school has academy status and has a 29hr timetable. I have been told nothing at this point about Preparation time or free periods, but am feeling uneasy. Factoring in marking, meetings and Parents' Evenings, I am stressed before I start. Is this how things are in teaching now? Please advise. The school seems great with a good Ofsted. Maybe I am out of touch.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

What percentage of the total week's teaching done by FT staff is the 19.67 hours?

Best wishes