1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time and inset days

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by CatBingo, Nov 16, 2018.

1. CatBingo

CatBingo New commenter

At my school (independent) we have up to 6 inset days per year. They are at the start and end of most terms. and they are mostly on a Monday and Friday. I work midweek and so this means that I am required to work on days I don't get paid for and these days are often spent putting up displays, cleaning the library etc rather than doing legally required stuff like Safeguarding training etc. I am very happy to attend for legally required stuff, or do the required courses online at home but I struggle with having to go to every single day if there is just admin stuff going on.

As I only work 3 days a week the school is effectively asking me to work for an additional half a month for free each year. Furthermore, I have to pay to have someone look after my kids, who are at the school I work in (no creche facility provided and husband won't take time off work) and pay to get my dogs walked, so not only am I not being paid, but each day costs me about £80 (3 kids, 2 dogs, London rates).

I've been told that I have no option in this as it's Independent. Surely this can't be right? Not in a union.

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I assume all the other staff are paid for these days or maybe not. Do you have a written contract, I'd check what it says about inset days. Ask a local citizens advice for advice on this. Personally I have worked inset days unpaid but that was choice others I have not.

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Oh and join a union though they will not be able to help you with this situation.