1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time and Head of Year?

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by Litsplint, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Litsplint

Litsplint New commenter

Is anyone a HOY and part time? I’m 0.8 have applied but I hbeen asked to think about how it could work- some real examples would help my case.
    Or tell me why it wouldn’t work... thanks!

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

Yes there have been in schools I have worked in - 0.8 sounds about right. Maybe think if one day of the week would be better for your day off (assuming that;'s how your 0.8 is structured...if you only have part days off then your case is probably stronger). Would Monday be a better day off as fewer incidents happen then? Or Wed? or whatever pattern may fit your school.
    Are all the tutors of that year group full time? If too many of them are part time as well that may count against you in terms of continuity. Are the tutors all experienced (and therefore perhaps needing less support)
    Is there a deputy HoY, or pastoral support who could take a bigger role on your day off?

3. Litsplint

Litsplint New commenter

Thank you yes, Monday is currently my day off but that could change next year. Good questions, thanks.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

A great deal depends on how your school is organised - the pastoral side does seem to vary a lot. The main question is who picks up urgent matters on your day off, and how that fits for them. I think the answer to that would have been different in each school I've worked in.
    (I can imagine that if you have two part-time HoYs, it's maybe easier, as they can have different days off and cover each other's urgent matters, especially if they are based in the same/adjacent offices.)
    Day off obviously needs to fit with meetings and parents evenings. Making sure you have a non-contact the morning after your day off might be wise. I wonder whether Monday is a bad day to be off as things like parental concerns are more likely to come in over the weekend.
    You probably want a good bounce message on your email for your day off - people will forget you're not in, and will need pointing at the right person if it's something that can't wait for the next day.

5. Litsplint

Litsplint New commenter

Thank you, great pints to consider, really appreciate you taking the time.