1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time and forms

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by Steph2002, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Steph2002

Steph2002 New commenter

hi anyone know if having a form is counted towards FTE???

2. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

You are in school for a fraction of a full-time role. They can ask you to do any teacher jobs during that time. So you can be asked to cover share or co tutor during that time.

3. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

To add to my point above you should join in if only to ensure that you gain enough recent pastoral experience so that you can apply for roles later if you want full time. Also it is much nicer working with a group that you know. The alternative is to be used as a cover register taker with random groups and that can be a nightmare.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You part-time percentage is calculated on the percentage of the teaching timetable you are working for. That won't usually include registrations, as they are not part of the teaching timetable, although if you have timetabled PSE lessons with your form group those would count.
    That does mean that you could have two part-timers paid the same, with the same number of lessons to teach, but one having a form group to register every day that they're in and the other not. It does seem unfair, but I think in plenty of cases the teacher without a form makes up for it in other ways.

5. Steph2002

Steph2002 New commenter

Thanks I have a form at present. If I go part time I will probably lose that. So that becomes gained time?

6. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

No it is directed time and you can be directed to do anything reasonable during that time. It depends how your time is timetabled. Are you working complete days? Then usually you will be expected to be in school at the beginning of the school day like everyone else. So if registration is at the beginning of the day they can ask you to do something during that time.

7. BarryIsland

BarryIsland New commenter

I don't have a form class as a part timer but during registration i provide cover for classes whose teacher is absent.
    It is definitely not gained time. I'd much prefer my own class instead of dealing with other people's !