1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part-time and another job

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by MissH_, Aug 16, 2016.

1. MissH_

MissH_ New commenter

Hi,

As of September I'll be working 3 days a week (0.6). For the other two days I would like to be doing something else. I'm registered with supply agencies already so that is a possibility.

Just curious if there are others who do another job as well as teaching and what it is.

2. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I used to work part time at 3 schools. It was ok until there was a clash of evening events eg concerts and rehearsals and then negotiations had to be made.

3. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

Gosh! 3! How many staff meetings a week did you end up in? Xxx

4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Only one school had a staff meeting on the day that I worked there.So I went to that one only.I teach music so the tricky bit was arranging concerts and rehearsals without clashing.

5. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

It amazed my friends that in my part-time job, I was expected to do courses and meetings on days I wasn't in. As you're teachers, you won't be surprised.

6. Avelanche

Avelanche New commenter

7. Avelanche

Avelanche New commenter

I'm coming at this from a slightly different point of view, but I may be able to suggest an option.

I wanted to change from full-time to part-time and requested this change but despite union involvement my NEW head teacher dug his heels in and refused my request. I left at Easter. Now do I do a part time role that you could combine with teaching as there is the option to work just over Saturday and Sunday. There is no planning or marking - it is great!

If you want to follow my career-change journey then you can follow me at https://goodbyeteaching.wordpress.com/

I am still keeping my eye out for suitable part-time / supply / tutoring, as I have not fully decided my future yet, which is why I still follow these boards.

8. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

I used to work part-time in one shcool and did supply on the days I didn't work. As it was just casual supply I wasn't expected to attend meetings etc.

9. Lalad

Lalad Senior commenter

I teach three days a week, do occasional supply for the same school, mark KS2 tests for Pearson in May / June and do other test related work for STA and NFER in the summer.

Maybe one day I'll start writing my life story - it would be therapeutic if nothing else!

10. Anonymity

Anonymity Occasional commenter

I do 0.6 and supply on my days 'off'. It works well, but I refuse to do the 0.6 work on my supply days - work days and weekends only. If I don't want to do a supply job, I don't (but I don't necessarily say when I am and when I'm not working...).