1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part-time 0.8 pension

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by elw01, Feb 17, 2018.

1. elw01

elw01 New commenter

Does nay one know how part-time is recorded for teacher's pension?
    I have been working 0.8 and at time full time but on a part-time contract the recording of my employment on Teacher's pension was at times shown at full-time.
    e.g. 9 months would be recorded as PT and 3 months as FT I always assumed this was correct as it was more than 0.5.
    I am now being told that this is incorrect and that I therefore don't have as much pension as I thought I had!!! 15 years later!

The fact that several schools recorded my employment this was leads me to believe this was the way it should be recorded?
    If you work 0.8 rather 0.5 surely this should make a difference to your pension ?
    I don't understand their working and they are being less than transparent.
    Can anyone help?
    I have other pension issues I am dealing with and therefore I have lost ALL trust in Teachers' pension, as they keep giving me different information and I am now on the 4th person dealing with my case! with different solutions !

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Does this link help?

https://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/members/working-life/work-events/part-time-working.aspx

It sounds as though the actual salary and the FTE salary are used to calculate the number of days of service in any one year under the final salary scheme. This means that 0.8 service must be more than 0.5 and less than full time. I can’t see why you should have had any recorded as full time service unless it was an error. Under career average, the actual salary earned is used to determine an amount of pension earned each year.

3. elw01

elw01 New commenter

Thank you, for being so prompt.
    If I did over time, my hours where higher, I had a fixed timetable and sometimes when needed did more. So this should be reflected in this calculation, if I understand it correctly? For a period of 6 weeks I was working more than full time.
    Why are schools recording it another way?? if it was just one school I would accept an error, but more than one??How can I trust a system which can be so flawed? What else are there going to hit me with.

Days out is another area I can't get my head round, how can I make sure they are correct. How can I work these out? any easy solution?
    Can they still come back in a few year and change their minds again??

I have given up on the site !

It's been a mess and I can't seem to find the strength to deal with it, so thanks for your help.

4. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

A teacher would never be credited more than full time hours so those 6 weeks should be credited as full time. (Except maybe additional revision classes in holiday periods?) If schools work under LA payroll departments they will be the ones entering the information for TPS. Academy chains usually outsource payroll too. This will be based on contract and salary information including additional supply claims.

Days out might be part of the part time arrangements: days in the scheme or days out of the scheme calculated according to the formula in the link. They might also be due to unpaid leave or unpaid strike days. The only days I had as days out on my full time record were strike days.

I’d say phone TPS again until you understand where the figures are coming from. For younger teachers, it’s a good idea to check your record every year to be sure you understand it and can remember all the reasons for any changes and deal with them as you go.

emerald52 likes this.
  5. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

You build up pension entitlement from your service. If you work 0.5 for 20 years you have 10 years pension credited. It is years and days. It is what you are paid for not work you do at home. You can buy back pension.

6. Zoot

Zoot New commenter

Working out your pension for part-time teachers is extremely complicated. From my own experience, I worked 0.6 part-time for 7 years and then moved to a full-time position at the same school. What I didn't realise for a while, was that my headteacher decided to add 2 days to my 3 day contract rather than change the contract to full time. When I realised this, I brought it up with Teachers Pensions. They said it was down to my headteacher and payroll. Neither would budge although I demanded my contract was altered to reflect that I do work full time teaching the same class all week. This was done but not backdated.
    I know exactly how frustrated you must feel and can only sympathise.

7. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

@Zoot How did that make a difference? A 0.6 contract plus a.0.4 contract add up to full time.

8. Zoot

Zoot New commenter

Emerald52 - not entirely sure except these years are listed as part-time on my history. You would think that 0.4 and 0.4 would automatically be listed as full-time.

9. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

O.4 + 0.4 = 0.8. That is 4 days a week not full time. You are 0.2 short of full time.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

When workin a p/t contract for an LA employer, any additional days worked from time to time are paid as for a supply teacher. The daily supply rate is/was your annual pay point for f/t divided by 195 (school days in the academic year). The additional pay thus includes pro-rata holiday pay. Your individual 'supply' days are added together to gain pension years and pension part years.
    195 supply days = one pension year. 39 supply days =0.2 of a pension year.

So, if you worked 3 contract days per week (0.6) for 8 years and did 39 extra supply days in total, your pension years would be 0.6 x 8 =4.8 years +0.2 = 5 f/t equivalent pension years.

emerald52 likes this.
  11. Zoot

Zoot New commenter

Sorry - should be 0.4 and 0.6

emerald52 likes this.