1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parkinson's disease

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Was apparently cancer. Has anyone felt his death left a void in their life yet?

2. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

I don't get the point of this thread or post. Someone has died of a vile disease. It's not the time for point scoring or whatever you had in mind.

viceroy, FritzGrade and Dragonlady30 like this.
  3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Who are you talking about?

4. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

5. Dunteachin

Ah, I get it. Bit odd, duke.

viceroy and aspensquiver_2 like this.
  6. Duke of York

It was an observation that having spent a fair part of this month reading lamentations on the death of pop stars and actors, a politician whose name had been in the news at least as frequently as those pop stars and actors, passed without mention.

No point scoring intended.

7. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

You had to live through it and see the absolute sense of entitlement these people had. They really were the worst kind of scum imaginable.

And so wrong in so many ways.

8. Dunteachin

I was sad to see what Parkinson's has done to Billy Connolly.

9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

It was the lead news item on at least one news broadcast on TV and on radio 4. The death of Henry Worsley was lead news earlier in the day.

I don't think that can be deemed to have passed without mention.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  10. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I was sad to see what Parkinson did to Sarah Keays and her daughter and I think he was a nasty piece of work.

11. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

His wife and daughters probably. I find this thread tasteless but I am not surprised that it's yours.

viceroy and aspensquiver_2 like this.
  12. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

not all his daughters I susspect

The court order was the subject of some controversy until its expiry when Flora Keays turned 18 at the end of 2001. It was noted in the press that Parkinson had never met her and presumably had no intention of doing so. While he had financially assisted with Flora's education and upkeep, it was publicly pointed out that he had never sent her a birthday card and that her mother assumed that Flora could never expect to receive one

ilovesooty and racroesus like this.
  13. Duke of York

What do you find tasteless about it? I merely created the opportunity for posters such as yourself, to offer the same regrets on his passing that were given to David Bowie and his ilk. As a champion of Thatcherite policies, have you nothing at all to say about how moved you feel at his loss and commend his contribution to the nation?

14. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

David Bowie was relatively young and generally regarded as iconic hence the response to his death. He died of cancer. So did Cecil Parkinson. Surely we would not wish such a death on anyone.

15. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I don't think you were D of Y...it was a comment meant to make folk look at a man,which allows posters to attack with vitriol.Something you seem to doing to those on your not wanted list.
    There is an old saying that we should not speak evil of the dead.
    I would not think a lot of the man, but a calculated look at his life with honesty is better than a heading which is both misleading and allows no such debate to occur.You seem to comclude that most Conservative folk are evil.Fine, your opinion,it goes down well on the left/socialite agree-rs on here.....but not all see his life a negative not eveil.

viceroy likes this.
  16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It's taken him quickly since diagnosis, although I notice he made it unaided up the steps and onto the stage at the TV awards, which is a plus. Contrary to popular belief it can be increasing immobility that affects you more than tremors. Perhaps most tragic in his case is that it robs you of your smile. My Dad endured it for 18 years before he died at the same age that Billy Connolly is now. It became such a part of my perception of my Dad that when I see men with the symptoms they remind me of him, even if they're facially different.

As for Cecil, I met him briefly once, on a school trip to political party offices. That he was a stalwart supporter of Mrs T doesn't endear him to me, but I sympathise with both of his families on a basic human level. He was the true embodiment of Victorian moral values, in that he maintained a respectable family gentleman exterior whilst getting one of his staff up the duff on the quiet.

HelenREMfan likes this.
  17. Duke of York

Both my parents died from cancer and I am currently doing my best to support a man and his wife who recently learned he has leukemia with a poor prognosis since his immune system is now shot to bits. He has been told it will be a miracle if he survives another year and top expect that the next infection he gets will kill him.

So no, I wouldn't wish cancer on anyone. As I previously suggested, this thread isn't about celebrating the death. It's about asking why nobody mentioned his passing on this forum, in a month when so many of equal fame also died and were suitably commented on.

I just find it fascinating that a man who was seen as a star by some in the world of his work, and no doubt affected the lives of all of us in some way, good or bad, could die without his biggest fans on this forum having the decency to say "Good luck for the future, Cecil."

They must be an odd lot, those Thatcherite supporters, mustn't they?

18. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

Give it a rest.

19. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

So are a lot of other supporters of other political parties.....

viceroy likes this.
  20. Duke of York

So you don't even have a good word to say about the man then, Madge. That really is so sad. Was he honestly so inconsequential to the fortunes of the Tories that they can't be asked to put in a good word for him for St Peter to read?