1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

parking moan

Discussion in 'Personal' started by giraffe, Aug 12, 2012.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Shall I have a rant about how infuriating my neighbours have just been, or shall I just try and forget about it?
    Let it out, or keep it in?[​IMG]

2. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Shall I have a rant about how infuriating my neighbours have just been, or shall I just try and forget about it?
    Let it out, or keep it in?[​IMG]

3. Well, if you want to be the better person, let it go!
    If you wish to amuse us - erm - me, then let it out.
    But don't keep it in, you'll burst!

Have an understanding 'Mm hmm. Did they? The rotters"

4. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Many thanks. I needed that.

5. Oh go on, tell us! Inconsiderate parking is a real bug bear with lots of folk. I arrived home from visiting friends to find my neighbour's visitor has parked leaving a space just too small for me to get into (unless can my car has developed the ability to move sideways). Yet there is a good 5 or 6 feet of space at the back of his car, so he could have left me enough room to get in.

6. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Most houses have garages at the back leading out onto a little
    service road. We are in the corner, and so have an alleyway with
    bollards that serves us and another neighbour. (Bit like a lower case
    letter 'b' with us half way up the ascender)
    Our other side
    neighbour insists on parking across the alleyway, outside their own back
    gate and garage, but this is in addition to taking up a further one or
    two spaces behind other people's houses. They have had run-ins with a
    number of other people over this because they tend to block their
    garages and gates. They have even blocked house of elderly chap who
    often needs to be taken to hospital by his son at any time of night.
    Said neighbours doesn't use their own garage to put car in and in the
    past have had a number of different cars for sale out there in
    everyone's way.
    Before they moved in, we would park next to the
    alleyway to our back garden. It makes sense for unloading shopping etc.
    When they moved in, we left space in case they used their garage. When
    it was obvious they weren't needing access to it, we very, very rarely
    parked there, but only if they had already parked their vehicles in other spaces that we would otherwise use (with the glad permission of those residents, actually)
    [I
    will add that they allow children to scream, play football and
    generally make a lot of noise in the alleyway despite me asking them not
    to. It doesn't even lead to their house. Kids have tried to climb into
    our garden too. They have also played football on our front lawn right
    outside the window. Unfortunately,one of the kids is a pupil at my school - not pleasant, say no more.]

Neighbour claims they have designated parking spaces outside
    their house, which I am certain isn't the case. We had a shouty argument
    about this one dark, rainy night when she had deliberately and
    unreasonably boxed me in.
    This was smoothed over later, and she agreed to MrG she was unreasonable.

Anyway,
    I've just come home hot and tired from doing some voluntary work (not
    relevant, but it makes me feel even more indignant) with several boxes
    of resources and musical instruments. All the spaces in the service road
    were full except for the one in the corner right near our house. I
    popped the car into that space to allow me to unload car (took three
    trips car to house). Two very small girls - one of theirs and another
    rather feral one from nearby were hovering around and looking into my
    car, boxes etc. as I unpacked.

Mr G happened to need car this afternoon so had driven it off
    anyway within three minutes. I was still bringing the boxes into the
    house as he went.
    Neighbour hadn't noticed that the car had
    gone, and came round to ask me to move it because her husband was about
    to come home for his dinner(!) She started going on about her designated
    spaces again, despite having parked her own car outside someone elses
    garage. She brought the two teeny girls with her too, which was a bit much, since she was obviously being argumentative.
    I
    explaned situation calmly, but this is really beginning to bug me (can
    you tell?) Complicating factor having their kids at same school I work
    in too. Grrrrrrr!!!! Argggggggggghh!

7. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Rant away and after dark sneak out and let their tyres down![​IMG]

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

It would take ages - they have 3 cars out there. Nice thought 'tho [​IMG]

9. dozymare1957

Then a fish in each exhaust pipe - a long way - in might make you feel better

10. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Wow, dozymare, you know all the tricks don't you? [​IMG]

11. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

So, were you parked blocking in part of their garage this time (whilst unloading)?

12. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I had been partly across their garage while I unloaded, but they never use their garage and have lots of bins and recycling boxes across it. She had also parked her own car across someone else's garage.
    By the time she came round to complain, our car wasn't even there anymore. Presumably the two children playing in the road had run in to tell her and she'd come round immediately. I was still bringing theboxes in.
    I could have parked my car out on the main street and walked up two pathways with the boxes, but it made sense to unload near the house.
    Her husband never parks considerately and wouldn't contemplate parking on the main street even if it means getting into rows with other neighbours. They also block our alleyway so that we can't get bins out on collection day and once I couldn't get a wheeled suitcase out of the back of my house due to their daft parking.

13. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

My car parking is in a car park for our block of flats and houses. One of my neighbours loves his car so always parks over two spaces to avoid scratches to his precious car.
    I started to park right next to him everytime he used two spaces. He soon learnt to use one!
    You need to break their habit. Don't use your car for a week and leave it in your space. They will soon learn they can manage without it.
    Gosh I've just realised how petty I sound!
    Mind you it was driving me insane in a busy car park when this selvish **** was taking two spaces!

14. slippeddisc - keep a packet of chalk in your bag at all times:
    [​IMG]
    I itch to do this when I see such poncy parking.

15. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Haha Manashee. That was exactly like his parking! A few times he was completely equidistant with the line being exactly down the middle of his car!

16. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

When I'd just passed my test, I went to practise bay parking in my school car park at the weekend.
    I'd been ok at parking, even in the test, but wanted to get really familiar with it in my own car.
    Every time I did a left bay park, I somehow ended up exactly straddling a line. My daughter then drew my attention to the CCTV cameras on the wall nearby. [​IMG]

17. I reverse into my driveway once a week (for ease of unloading shopping in boot). I always make a total hash of it (in my defence - drive is very steep with a 'lip' at the top and bushes either side which confuse the parking sensors) and have to take at least 2 attempts.
    This is all fine, but I live next door to a driving instructor and I just know he's looking out of his window witnessing my feebleness and shaking his head in disgust.

18. jellytot24

jellytot24 New commenter

I'm afraid I have no suggestions as to how you should deal with your neighbours OP but I just wanted to jump on the ranting bandwagon.
    I've just got home to find my neighbour's son-in-law has parked on our drive. Again. We've lived here 3 years and he still treats us like total idiots. Went next door to ask him politely to move it and got the same response as I always get (this is not a one-off) - "But the lady you bought off used to let us use the driveway". Once again, through gritted teeth and counting my lucky stars that I am employed and have a wider range of vocab than him (he makes me rage!!), I reminded him that, as the previous owner didn't drive, it wasn't really a problem for her was it? And that, as we have 2 cars which we park on the driveway every day because we live here, it really is a bit of a problem isn't it? Total d*ck.
    It's my own fault. Being a kind neighbour and trying to get on with people, I told his father-in-law that they could use our drive when we went on holiday last year as they have so many visitors at weekends. Shame his idiot s-i-l couldn't park properly then though - scratched my car whilst parking.
    And then, after he'd moved his car this evening, he had the cheek to ask when we're going away this summer so that they can use our drive again!!!! I have massively made a rod for my own back but I think he lost interest when I said that we would be charging £10 a day if anyone wants to park on it.
    God that feels better.

19. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Oh my goodness, jellytot that really is outrageous!

20. dozymare1957

Can you fit lockable gates Jellytot?