1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parking in London on a Sunday

Discussion in 'Personal' started by highschooler, Feb 23, 2012.

1. We've managed to get tickets for the Hockney exhibition at the RA on a Sunday. In the past I've driven to central London (from the midlands) on a Sunday and parked on the road for free near the Natural History Museum/Royal Albert Hall. Is this still possible and is there somewhere similar nearer the RA?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Not sure about the roads near the RAH, but I know that the residential areas are free on a Sunday - you could park there and get the tube further in?

3. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Yes it is still free. There was an attempt by Westminster and others to start charging but due to a furore by local businesses they pulled back from the idea.

4. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

You could park on the Embankment on Sunday and then walk up to the RA if that is slightly more convenient???

5. Cheers, that's really helpful. I assume there's still no congestion charge on Sundays?
    The train fare is £72 return for me and mrs h, and the first train on a Sunday doesn't get into Paddington until midday. And I hate relying on public transport!

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

There's lots of free weekend parking in the City.
    And I know a very good spot near Kings Cross (PM me if you want the details)
    No, no CC on Sundays.

7. Many thanks, I may take you up on that nearer the time!

8. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

I didn't know that!

9. I think a lot of people don't realise how easy is to drive into and park in central London on Sundays. I didn't until about 3 years ago.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I have found that Waterloo place, just off the Mall has loads of parking on a Sunday. There is loads there in the evenings too. Closer to the Royal Academy than Kings Cross!!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It is just off the Mall - but only by a flight of steps. If you want to get your car there it is off Pall Mall - sorry.

12. Thanks dereck. That looks good.