1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paris, Bastille day

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by epinard, Jan 18, 2011.

1. I have been offered the opportunity to accompany a school party to Paris arriving Thursday 14th July, staying at FIAP Jean Monnet. Obviously, I would rather be stuck in England teaching... however needs be and all that. I have never been to Paris on Bastille, we were hoping to arrive at FIAP 2pmish we have 40ish good students, GCSE up, after long time in coach what should / can we do to make the most of it? thanks

2. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

The main event on 14 July is the défilé which happens in the morning so you'll have missed that. Paris in summer is swarming with tourists as most of the population have either July or August as holiday. You'll be able to do any of the typical tourist things but be prepared for queues at Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, etc.
    There'll be fireworks in the evening, but as it's so light in July, these often don't start until midnight so could be too late for tired schoolchildren.
    Honestly, 14 July isn't a massive street party, for most it's just a day off if you happen to be at work, fireworks, parades and that's it, really no big deal.

3. For Dieu's sake don't they realise heads were chopped off for this auspicious day, I was hoping for a few public executions at least...