1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parents' workshops - literacy

Discussion in 'Primary' started by seebee, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Anyone?

2. Hi there

My P1 teacher ran a jolly phonics evening earlier this session, with video clips of the lessons being undertaken, whiteboard reources for the parents to try, as well as the usual 'talk' - had healthy refreshments and lots of parent involvement - Scotland, so linked it to CfE too, so killed several birds with one stone. Had really positive comments and about 85% turn-out, with quite a few dads there too. Very successful and fuelled their interest for more.

3. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Maybe have a circular of activities for part of the session, with an adult explaining how you would use this to support chn. E.g. you could have any computers/IWB set up with phonics games, have a table on guided reading, support for spelling games etc? This is prob influenced by the fact that many of our parents seem more comfortable teaching their chn sight recognition of words/rote learning of spellings as opposed to blending and segmenting. Also they add the 'uh' sound on the end of letter sounds (eg 'b' as longer 'buh' sound - sure there is proper term for this!) which is not helpful for the chn, so I would want workshop to focus on helping them to support the children's phonics.
    What are the aims for your workshop?
    X Char.

4. Hi - thanks for your replies. Aim is to give parents support to help children at home and at school (lots volunteer to help but we've noticed they either like to take over eg grab the mouse in ICT or make the children sound every word out with no questioning or discussion.)
    Like the ideas of rotation of groups that's the sort of thing I had in mind- hadn't thought of getting computers out, thanks.

5. I have to do a Literacy workshop too for parents. I thought the point made about parents over pronouncing initial sounds was very useful.
    Does anyone else have any idea of what could be included in this workshop? Any ideas appreciated.

6. anyone?

7. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

If you are including work on narrative too, it might be helpful to point out that talking skills are the key to constructing sensible content! All the when/who/where etc. information is necessary for giving news, talking about a movie and so on. Perhaps you could get the parents to pick out the information words in a good children's story introduction - or for fun make up an intro omitting some key piece of information and a 'partner' to spot the error. Talking over some of the VCOP ideas might help too - bearing in mind you may have a mixed audience and it is easy to make people feel inadequate if you are insensitive to the parents' standards of literacy!

8. hi

how about something that covers the main aspects? Something for each for writing, talk for writing, reading, letters and sounds, speaking and listening and handwriting? Perhaps a little activity which focuses on the main message you have for each of those aspects? EG in my school, in letters and sounds, I would want to focus on blending and segmenting vowel digraphs, handwriting - correct letter formation and correct joins, talk for writing - value of aural rehearsal.
    Or focus on 1 aspect with several activities for parents to join in with and perhaps some handouts of ideas for activities to do at home to support that?

9. Initially we sent out a questionnaire to see what the parents most wanted. We then sent out feelers if we did run such and such a workshop would they attend. This came from a few years where we put on workshops that only a few parents came to. It is quite disheartening when you spend so much time setting up and packing away!
    We do literacy workshops for our Year R and new parents - gross and fine motor skills (developing handwriting). This is very interactive with explaination on muscle development and going from large to small. We set up lots of different activites around the hall and then do an input explaining the foundations and theory etc. We talk them through the activities then they have a chance to go and get their child and work with them. It always gets positive reviews.
    Our next one is a reading workshop this is less interactive. We go over phonics, how we teach reading in school and what can they do at home. The letters and sounds DVD goes over how to pronounce the pure sounds we play that to the parents. We talk about segmenting and blending get them to play some Phase 1 games. We run a quick competition to see who can come up with as many words out of SATPIN. We roll -play how to 'not ' to teach reading and that is always a hit!
    We have decided to do a Speaking and Listening workshop next, should have done first, will do that next year! This workshop will be incorporating lots of the games from Talk for Writing. Really looking forward to this one.
    Hope gives you some ideas.

10. Thank you for that - it has given me a lot of ideas. Like the idea of asking parents about what they think would be useful.
    Any ideas for useful Literacy and Numeracy websites for parents?

11. anyone?