1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parents! Why do they interfere?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by smiler1509, May 1, 2012.

1. Parents seem to think they can rule this school!
    Last week I had a parental complaint against me citing that I had 'not taught half the material' for the exam. What rot! Today got complaint from same parent complaining that I had given them homework!

All management do is kowtow to the parents and do not support staff in any way shape or form. If parents know best get them in to teach their little precious ones.

As a parent I wouldnt dare tell my children's teacher show to do their job or think that I know beter.

If we werent in a recession I'd quit.

2. If you employed someone to paint your house, fix your roof, look after you in hospital, would you dare to tell them if you thought they were doing a bad job?

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

IMO I don't think you can compare as one is hearsay (from the student) whilst the others you've mentioned are personal experience.

I think the point the OP is trying to make is how the same parents actions are contradictory not that people shouldn't complain about rubbish teachers generally. x

4. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Frankly sweetie with attitudes like this I think you would be better out of teaching. Your anger and negativity will make you a bad teacher. If you think that schools are there to be provide you with a trouble free living, not that you are there to provide a service to children and their parents I should throw in the towel now.

5. Adopt a scientific attitude - ask for evidence!
    "Here Jonny - go through your exercise book / folder / worksheets and highlight on this copy of the specification every sentence that we have covered. Ensure you are working at an appropriate level eg if you are aiming for GradeC, don't be surprised that we've left out the A* stuff. Now borrow your friends work and check if they have done things you didn't do because you were absent / otherwise occupied. Now do the same with another friend, just in case you both missed the same work. If you could be a real dear, you might highlight on this other copy the things we haven't done. Thank you so much."
    Clearly this is designed to help Jonny establish the facts AND to get him to read all of his work carefully - no-one could accuse you of being vindictive or wasting his time. You will be very grateful to the Head / parent / pupil for drawing this problem to your attention and you will do your best to rectify the situation in the remaining few weeks. [​IMG]
    Sadly, you might be incompetent, like the English Literature teacher who I had to counsel when his pupils discovered in the exam that he'd taught the previous year's set books. [​IMG]
    Please let us know what happens.

6. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

You wouldn't believe the parental complaints I've had to deal with this year. Seriously if I wrote a book people would think I had made them up.
    Sometimes I just have to laugh because if I didn't I would despair.

7. I have a parent that thinks their child is a genius, I am testing and testing and then showing all the evidence to prove that this child is average. Back it up and take no prisoners. I get emails and pointed letters with homework, but I wont let that person dictate what I do or how I teach! Good luck

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

How would they know what was in the exam? How do they guage whether you have taught it or not? Some parents can be tricky customers. This should be recognised by the school, but therein lies the problem because
    Don't let this episode upset you and shatter your confidence. If it's true that management are unsupportive, then share notes with other teachers who also teach the child(ren) of such parents AND do what another poster has suggested, (sorry can't remmeber who it was now) and amass evidence as back up/proof.

9. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Yep.

10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Tell them to ask for a refund.

11. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I would believe them!
    The funniest one was when I had the same coat as a girl in my y8 class and her mother rang up to request I didn't wear mine. That was weird.

12. was she worried she'd get you mixed up?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter