1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parents who ask for ranking

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by moontitan, Sep 8, 2018.

1. moontitan

moontitan New commenter

I know of a pushy parent who always asks their child’s position in the year group after every assessment as well as the average mark for the year group in the test.
    I presume this is fine to give out with GDPR stuff?

2. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

I'd be tempted to question their entitlement to know anything which does not relate directly to their own child, regardless of GDPR requirements.

Obviously, they have an interest in knowing how well their own child is doing, so I wouldn't have a problem giving them their child's mark for that assessment. I would also be prepared to indicate how they did in broad terms - 'better than average', 'average', or 'below average'.

But I'd politely point out that the average mark for the year group in any assessment, represents the performance of a number of other students within that group. That group may not include their own child, in which case the marks the other children got, is actually none of their business. If it's that important to them, they could of course always speak to other parents.

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Parents who ask for ranking

... are known as Rankers.

suzyshepster, Flanks and lindenlea like this.
  4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

The other replies seem to look askance on this, but whether the parent is pushy or not is irrelevant to the fact that they clearly want their child to get the best possible grades. Surely we need more parents like this?
    I'd do two things-ask my seniors, eg HoD or HT about the GDPR, although tbh I can only see a very tenuous link there. I would also ask the parent to come and talk to me. It might be useful to find out whether they want to know their child's "rank" in order to goad them or to praise them. In my experience, wanting this knowledge often comes from a parent who presents it to the child with the word "only". "You are only tenth in the group". Perhaps by chatting to this parent you can change this into "well done, you are tenth". Or perhaps, even better, you could send that parent away knowing that actually it really is not relevant and everything is ticking along fine.

elder_cat likes this.
  5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

On maths reports, we used to give the class median for any test - because what most parents want to know is how their child is getting on within the class - median was enough to tell them if their child was in the top or bottom half, and have some clue of how near the middle. Exact position is unnecessary, and also not statistically useful - the fluctuations might be more due to changes in other children's performance than their child's.