1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parent's scrutinizing books

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Rfortheday, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Rfortheday

Rfortheday New commenter

Should a parent be allowed to take their child's (SEN) books home to scrutinize?

2. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Providing they bring them back when requested, why should they not? It shows the parents care and may want to build on what has been done in class or query whether their child is being stretched enough or claim the work is upsetting them because it is beyond their child's capability ( worst case scenario).

3. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

Has your school got a policy on children taking books home?

Rfortheday likes this.
  4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I can ‘t think of any reason why this would not be appropriate ? Working with / engaging parents is fundamental to the revised CoP is it not ? Home showing an interest in what’s going on in school ? What’s not to like ?

5. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

It depends if they then feedback negatively on your practise...I would not like this. If it's to support their child at home and a collaborative thing, then it should be OK. I would make this clear from the outset if it were me.

Rfortheday likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I'm surprised this could ever seen anything other than good.

7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I suspect that there is some negativity from the OP re possible feedback in their choice of the word ‘ scrutinise ‘ but I may be mistaken ? I think the practice of showing and sharing the child’s efforts with any interested party makes absolute sense and feedback should be encouraged. I don’t think being defensive is helpful

8. brighton56

brighton56 Occasional commenter

Parents evening is a good opportunity for parents to look at exercise books. A lot of schools do an open morning/afternoon where people can come in and look at books etc.

I would recommend booking an appointment for you to go through the books together.

Would I ever send exercise books home mid year? Absolutely not. If they were to get lost or never come back then where is the evidence for your teacher assessment?

Also, who owns the books? In theory, they're the property of the school and not the child.

Mixed views.

Rfortheday likes this.
  9. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

Parents of children in my class are welcome to come in and look at any exercise book they wish. If they asked, I would happily send them home for them to look at. Nothing to hide and if it encourages them to support their children with their work or give them some extra help with something they're struggling with then I'm all for it.

I don't think they'd dare to try and give me 'feedback' on my marking! :D