1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parents running the school

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by moto car, Feb 7, 2016.

1. moto car

moto car New commenter

Does anyone else feel like parents are running the school? I have been told to put some changes to the curriculum in place, followed the correct school procedures and have just had parent complaint after complaint. Parents are now demanding a meeting should take place so they can all air their views. It's more like a group of parents want to shout and scream until the changes are put back.
    Not sure how much of this I can take. Not sleeping, eating and constantly stressing about what I will have to face.
    Been looking at new jobs out of teaching all weekend.
    Should smt now take over?

2. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Was this not done through HT/SMT? Is this something to do with an aspect of the curriculum you can control or something not in your control?

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

So the parents need to talk to the management of the school - if it's their innovation, they need to do the discussing- not take over because they should have been running it, and talking to parents from the start. Meantime, it's rough on you.
    Do the parents have a point, or do they need to be won over. Changing schools for the better is difficult. Do you have a management to whom you can talk suggesting solutions, or do they make you want to hide under a duvet for the rest of time?

4. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

If it's a change from school leaders, I'd agree to have the meeting but co-host with SLT. That way you come across as reasonable and when you and SLT show that you're all united in providing high quality education.
    When it comes to it, the best SLT member I worked for was great at this and in the end his view was 'we're doing this because we think it will be better. If you disagree, then take your child elsewhere'... Nobody took him in the offer.
    Sometimes certain groups of parents just like to feel they have more power than they do and it's on managers to support staff on this.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]

And that's just what i would tell'em!

Best wishes