1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Parents' right to withdraw dyslexic child part time

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Lobster999, Jul 14, 2011.

  1. Hi
    Does anyone know of any rules/guidance relating to a parent's right to withdraw a dyslexic child for private specialist tuition within school hours for 2 hrs per week?
  2. Lobster, many of my tutees come to me in school hours. Here is the guidance from my website:
    5. Privately arranged specialist tuition. Carefully chosen remedial reading tuition can be the solution
    if it can be afforded, and as long as the child is happy to
    attend. For school-attending
    children specialist tuition can take place, legally, off the school premises during
    school hours at the discretion of the school, as an 'Approved educational activity off-site'.
    For the youngest children, 6-7 yr. olds, this is really essential as
    they are far too tired after school. Parents should approach the school
    in a spirit of co-operation and negotiate a mutually agreeable time to
    withdraw their child for tuition. It is, after all, in the school's
    interest to have their pupils able to read and write effectively.

    In law it is always the PARENTS' duty to provide a
    SUITABLE education for their children, including catering for any
    special needs. Normally parents delegate this duty to a school. If
    parents believe that the school is failing to provide their child with a
    'suitable' education then the parents are obliged to do something
    about it. It would irresponsible of them if they didn't do so. By
    arranging specialist tuition during school hours, they are merely trying
    to fulfil their lawful duty by setting up what the school can't/won't
    provide. The school needs to have a very good reason to withhold
    consent - is the school is able to provide equivalent tuition (a
    regular time, a quiet room for one-to-one, plus someone with expertise in using synthetic phonics remedially)
    on the school premises, paid for by the school? Probably not! If the
    school refuses, then the parents should contact their LEA's SEN
    department and explain the situation.
  3. Thank you Susan for taking the time to reply. The info is really helpful.

Share This Page