1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parents PSED Workshop ideas please

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by png68, Jan 31, 2016.

1. png68

png68 New commenter

Dear all

I have been asked to create and deliver a PSED/outside play workshop for parents in the EYFS and including their importance, interactive activities and how to it is developed and provided in the school's Early Years setting. I was hoping you might have some ideas - these parents are shy and it was originally planned for Friday morning and now it is forming part of the Early Years Open Day this Wednesday - so panic on (plus I was off with a chest infection from last Weds-Friday!!).

I was thinking of interactive activities such as:
    giving each parent parts of a jigsaw and they have to find the other pieces and make the picture - difficulty with that being not knowing how many parents will be coming to the PSED/outside play workshop
    Guess the sound/animal
    Discussing puppets use - storytelling

The outside area needs some made resources - such as fine motor activity boards - wanted to ask the parents if they could help make these things?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated

thanks
    Peter

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

could you also put out activities such as large building blocks or drainpipes and balls/water, where children would be encouraged to work together and share resources or talk about what they are doing?
    It's quite hard as everything you have outside will have a PSED focus as this covers everything we do in EY. Perhaps setting up your outdoor area as you would do normally and sharing how this develops PSED is an easier way to meet your brief. Maybe you could ask parents what PSED they think would be covered in the activities you have out. I am sure some of them would be surprised.

3. png68

png68 New commenter

Thank you for your response but I am sorry I did not make it very clear.
    It is two separate workshops grouped into one session
    So PSED then Outside learning

All ideas VERY welcome :O)

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

PSED: think about what you do with the children that supports their personal, social and emotional development. Pinpoint any specific activities that you do, either with small groups or with the whole class; you could model some during the session with the parents and discuss what the children learn through these activities.

Outside learning: create a sheet with seven boxes (one for each area of learning - label them); give them out one per two/three parents. Go into your outside area, all set out as if for a day of learning, and ask parents to wander round and find at least one thing to write in each box. Come back together, after parents have had a good look around, and discuss what things they found to support each area. Also discuss why outdoor learning is important; for example, which activities could not be done inside the classroom?