1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parents of Primary Children- Your Opinions Needed!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kcoleman22, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I am currently running a piece of research on the lack of boys that choose to take part in singing at primary school level as part of my dissertation. I am looking to find out what factors are preventing boys from singing and how we can counteract these. I would like to get a parents perspective on this and would be very grateful for a few moments of your time to complete a questionnaire for which you can find the link below. Also if you have any friends/relatives that are parents of primary age children, would you be able to pass the link along?
    Thanks in advance,
    kcoleman22
    Parent Questionnaire Link
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PM3FLSW

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Surveymonkey has a lot to answer for.

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

Woulnd't you be better off posting on mumsnet?

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

wouldn't

sorry

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

S/he also posted on the HT forum, or maybe SMT and got the response that boys generally are not any more recalcitrant than girls. Not sure anyone did the survey.

6. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Well I think you need to broaden your topic heading to "a study of participation levels in primary singing and how to improve it" and do your own firsthand research in schools.
    At a guess one would find different participation in different schools from different groups of pupils and it will vary depending on whether you are looking at whole school singing, joining a choir, class music lessons etc etc. The barriers will vary enormously from school to school, group to group, as will the solutions.
    I wouldn't think it would be much of a dissertation otherwise. Don't you have to do a brief for your disseration and get it approved? This one does not sound passable to me.

7. We struggle to get girls to join our choir, not boys - bursting at the seams with 'em.

8. We also have lots of boys in our school choir.
    Interestingly, when we do singing assemblies and give the girls a section to sing and the boys a section to sing the boys always sing with so much more enthusiasm!