1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parents in pyjamas

Discussion in 'Personal' started by knitone, Jan 26, 2016.

1. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

I can almost (but not quite) understand a busy mother with very young children occasionally running late in the morning and throwing on a coat over pyjamas for the school run. What I can't understand is parents who see nothing wrong in attending parents' evenings in p.j.s!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-35413153

2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I was shocked at the parents evenings and school assemblies as well. There was a long thread about doing the school run in pyjamas on mumsnet a while ago. The general opinion was that it was unacceptable but a few people claimed that they washed and put on clean pyjamas before they went out - so why not put clothes on then?

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

ScotSEN likes this.
  5. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Slack mares. There is NO EXCUSE for regularly avoiding the terrible ten minute effort of washing, toothbrushing and dressing, although I hold my hand up to occasionally oversleeping and putting boots and long coat on over nightie and racing to school.
    It makes you wonder what else they're neglecting - the hygiene and breakfast of their own children, for example.

ScotSEN and grumpydogwoman like this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

On my property I reserve the right to welcome people in my 'jamas. Before 10 am. Latest. OK, 9 am.

If I had overslept I'd make that call between getting to school late and getting dressed or slinging on a coat. But not routinely. Emergency only. (Don't think that ever happened though.)

ScotSEN likes this.
  7. Vince_Ulam

It's likely fathers, too. Being Darlo they're probably all on the way to and from the local dogging sites.

PizzoCalabro and ScotSEN like this.
  8. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Whenever the nanny takes little Mortimer or Arabellaita to school, I insist that she is wearing the appropriate attire - my castoff last season LKBennet! Sometimes, we don't insist on pearls and matching hat,gloves and shoes matching but it's one or the other!

9. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Nice
    Whilst I agree the trend towards the PJ school run is lamentable I'm pretty sure that isn't either 1) a merely NE tendency or 2) A tendency that is endemic to Darlington

Nor, I suspect, is visiting dogging sites.

10. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

At parents' evening.
    In pyjamas.
    And started breastfeeding a 2 year old.
    Because it was nearly bedtime.

Couldn't believe it.

11. marlin

marlin Star commenter

12. Vince_Ulam

I'll take your word for it.

13. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

:eek:

14. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Maybe Vince lives there in which case he is permitted to judge, no?

ScotSEN likes this.
  15. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

He might
    I'm pretty close still and have lived in and around the town for most of my life.
    So i guess I'm permitted to judge too ;):)

ScotSEN likes this.
  16. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

That's Mumsnet for you. Too busy for normal stuff like clothes but able to do six loads of absolutely necessary washing in a morning because it's disgusting to use a towel more than once or sleep in the same sheets you had last night.

17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

They go shopping in my local Tesco's i night wear.so a school holds no fears

18. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

it sounds like a power thing. "I'll wear what I ********** well like to their ************ parents evening"

Middlemarch and grumpydogwoman like this.
  19. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

I wouldn't find attending a meeting in my pyjamas empowering; it would have quite the opposite effect.
    I like as many layers between me and the public as possible!

20. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I never wear pyjamas. Could you go in your nightie?

Dragonlady30 and cissy3 like this.