1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parents have no confidence in CoG

Discussion in 'Governors' started by IndigoDreams, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Is there anything parents can do if they have no confidence in the chair of governors?

He has just removed his children from the school - but doesn't want to stand down as chair.

A lot if parents feel if he has so little confidence in the school as to remove his own children, than he is not the right person to be chair.

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

It is for the governors to elect their chair, not parents. Parents elect their representatives.

3. grrmummy

grrmummy New commenter

Perhaps the fact that he has felt the need to remove his own children from the school suggests he is exactly the right person to be chair?
    The role of the GB is to provide appropriate support and challenge to the HT and SMT, to set the strategic direction of the school and to raise educational standards.His move suggests to me that it may be very difficult to resolve issues of concern to him (as both a governor and a parent) but that he feels he is not prepared to compromise the educational futures of his children in order to best fulfil his role as a governor.
    Don't be dragged into a smear campaign. His actions as a parent are completely seperate to (and private from) his actions as a governor and he is entitled to do what he thinks is best for his children (even if other people do not agree). He must have had some qualities to enable him to be elected as (presumably) a parent governor and as a Chair
    [​IMG]

4. I am in a similar situation myself and would give your Chair the benefit of the doubt.
    Due to issues at school surrounding my daughter I have uncovered a (lack of) practice which I think would put us in a very low band of the new Ofsted framework, on that particular part of the framework. I am currently in a really difficult position. I have to act as a Governor for the good of all the children but, if measures are implemented, my daughter's issues will be addressed as one of the affected children.
    If there was another school I could send her to I quite possibly would. I have lost a huge amount of sleep worrying how I deal with this matter properly as a Governor for all the children but without giving the impression I am doing it for my own ends. I don't have an option what I do, because I have to put my Governorship first but I am trying to work out how I do it to minimise the possible negative impact on my, I hope good, reputation.
    The role of Chair can be a very difficult one.