1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parents' Glossary?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by TinklePrincess, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

From my recent placement I have discovered that the practitioners often use terms that the parents are unfamiliar with (for example PLOD, Schema, Treasure Basket) so I thought I would take it upon myself to create a sort of glossary or Early Years A-Z leaflet...
    Not wholly altruistic - I thought I could also use it as evidence in my EYPS file [​IMG]

Anyway, I've devised a little notice for parents at my nursery to jot down any phrases or words they can think of, but was just wondering if anyone on here can think of any frequently questionned ones??

2. I have got quite a few already, mainly abbreviations, but was just wanting to create a really useful document, with as many helpful definitions as possible!
    I'll also add it to the resources on here so your help will be much appreciated!

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Why are staff using terms like PLOD to parents?

4. Probably for the same reason most people use jargon.

5. I was quite shocked too! The setting uses PLODs for each child as a framework for their planning as well as to create their Learning Journey and nursery file for when they leave... They also note things such as KUW, PSED on the day diaries, which baffles me!
    At my current nursery, the manager has sent letters out with "SEF", "SLT" etc, generally a lot of abbreviations - most of which the parents/carers have never heard of but don't want to ask!

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Perhaps the staff need educating more than the parents need a glossary? ...just an idea

7. Msz - yeah, as part of the leadership aspect I am doing a sort of action research, trying to gain from parents the vast amount of confusing phrases, so that I can show the staff and hopefully improve their practice. I'd hate to seem like I'm going in there, telling them that their practice is awful (although on my setting visit, my tutor was horrified!) so I though I could do it both ways

8. thought* - oops, serves me right for trying to eat and type!