1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parents for Choice

Discussion in 'Cymru - education news' started by Gwynedd57, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Parents for Choice/Rhieni dros Dewis

Parents for Choice is a Lobby Group set up by English and Welsh parents in response to recent changes to education policy in Wales ? changes which adversely affect our right to access the language of our choice for our children?s education.
    We believe in a democratic Wales, with equal rights and equal opportunities for all, irrespective of whichever national language they choose to speak. We support the provision of Welsh-medium education according to parental demand, and also the compulsory teaching of Welsh as a subject.
    Our concern, however, is that CHOICE of English-medium education is being undermined and gradually withdrawn by recent directives from the Welsh Assembly Government and Local Education Authorities. Under the current Welsh-medium Education Strategy, many ?bi-lingual? and English-medium streams and schools are under threat as Welsh-medium provision is compulsorily increased.
    Our aim is to ensure a fair and equal choice of language medium in education for all children and parents throughout Wales.

Our Objectives:
    ? A) To campaign for amendments to the Welsh Assembly Government?s Welsh-medium Education Strategy and School Standards Bill (which dictates that all LEAs produce a ?Welsh in Education Strategic Plan?): Together, these policies propose to place schools on a ?Language Continuum?, driving all schools toward more Welsh-medium provision with overall increased use of Welsh, thus undermining fair CHOICE for those seeking English-medium education. The School Standards Bill is due to become law this year.
    ? B) To campaign for a standardised unbiased assessment of parental demand of language medium in education, giving a clear and fair CHOICE of English-medium and Welsh-medium provision throughout Wales. (This would replace the questionnaire currently used by some LEAs, which merely asks parents if they would like their child to be able to speak more Welsh).
    ? C) To campaign for greater transparency, clarity and increased public awareness in all language-related education policy ? this includes compelling LEAs and the Welsh Assembly Government to inform all parents of any proposed changes to policy and raise awareness of all Consultations on such policy (preferably via the media).
    If you support these objectives, all you have to do is pledge your support by emailing your name (or surname), county of residence and any comments to:

parentsforchoicewales@gmail.com.

You do not have to be a parent and your name will be added to our petitions. The more support we can demonstrate to Welsh Ministers, the more likely we are to succeed. So, spread the word, and help us protect our children?s education.

2. Parents for Choice/Rhieni dros Dewis

Parents for Choice is a Lobby Group set up by English and Welsh parents in response to recent changes to education policy in Wales ? changes which adversely affect our right to access the language of our choice for our children?s education.
    We believe in a democratic Wales, with equal rights and equal opportunities for all, irrespective of whichever national language they choose to speak. We support the provision of Welsh-medium education according to parental demand, and also the compulsory teaching of Welsh as a subject.
    Our concern, however, is that CHOICE of English-medium education is being undermined and gradually withdrawn by recent directives from the Welsh Assembly Government and Local Education Authorities. Under the current Welsh-medium Education Strategy, many ?bi-lingual? and English-medium streams and schools are under threat as Welsh-medium provision is compulsorily increased.
    Our aim is to ensure a fair and equal choice of language medium in education for all children and parents throughout Wales.

Our Objectives:
    ? A) To campaign for amendments to the Welsh Assembly Government?s Welsh-medium Education Strategy and School Standards Bill (which dictates that all LEAs produce a ?Welsh in Education Strategic Plan?): Together, these policies propose to place schools on a ?Language Continuum?, driving all schools toward more Welsh-medium provision with overall increased use of Welsh, thus undermining fair CHOICE for those seeking English-medium education. The School Standards Bill is due to become law this year.
    ? B) To campaign for a standardised unbiased assessment of parental demand of language medium in education, giving a clear and fair CHOICE of English-medium and Welsh-medium provision throughout Wales. (This would replace the questionnaire currently used by some LEAs, which merely asks parents if they would like their child to be able to speak more Welsh).
    ? C) To campaign for greater transparency, clarity and increased public awareness in all language-related education policy ? this includes compelling LEAs and the Welsh Assembly Government to inform all parents of any proposed changes to policy and raise awareness of all Consultations on such policy (preferably via the media).
    If you support these objectives, all you have to do is pledge your support by emailing your name (or surname), county of residence and any comments to:

parentsforchoicewales@gmail.com.

You do not have to be a parent and your name will be added to our petitions. The more support we can demonstrate to Welsh Ministers, the more likely we are to succeed. So, spread the word, and help us protect our children?s education.

3. I think it's fair to say that those of us living in the cities of the south are unaware of the changes affecting other areas of Wales in terms of access to EM Education, if this is your preference.
    100% behind your right to chose Gwynedd. Would suggest that you stay away from gogwatch.com if you want your arguments to be taken seriously. They are valid, but lost in the malice of some commentary on that site.

4. Parents for choice is Diet-Gogwatch, so it's impossible for Gwynedd to take your advice!

Gogwatch / Parents for choice = same bunch.

5. Parents for Choice seems more digestible to me. If there's enough of them, I suppose their children shouldn't be 'forced' to learn Welsh.

I can't relate: In my area we have a few Welsh primaries, and then a Welsh secondary and an English secondary. Fair enough choice for everyone.

6. The issue of choice whether to learn through EM or WM is more palletable. However gogwatch has been putting out all sorts of rubbish over the last few weeks in particular. The vast majority of articles since October have basically been scare stories aimed at undermining welsh education. To me, it seems they've just been laying a foundation of propaganda in preparation for this 'Parents for Choice' manifesto.

During the time I spent on the site, this issue of choice was raised by the same purveyors of anti-welsh language sothach. I just don't believe 'parents for choice' is about choice, in my opinion it's just using the issue itself to drum up support against the language. I might be wrong, but gogwatch and parents for choice seem like two names for the same thing. If gogwatch hadn't been trying to scare people into opposing welsh education. I wouldn't have a reason to hold this view.

The last 6 out of 8 articles since October have been slating the teaching of the welsh language in either english medium or welsh medium schools. Now they've been asked to publish this Parents for Choice manifesto, does that seem like a coincidence to you?

7. Seems to me that gogwatch/ pParents For Choice have a personal agenda rather than the interest of children at heart. If you live in Wales, what's the problem with children learning Welsh, or being educated through the language of they live in a Welsh speaking area or if they choose to?

8. The Gogwatch Team have nothing to do with Parents for Choice, but we doubt telling you that is going to make you believe it.
    It seems that after 30 years and several billion pounds of UK tax-payers' money spent on promoting the Welsh language above all else - despite the fact that 80% of Welsh people do NOT speak Welsh - the vast pro-Welsh language army of the Welsh Assembly, Welsh Language Board, the numerous Welsh language QUANGOs, S4C, and BBC Wales it seems that you are worried that a grassroots movement of the silent English-speaking majority is beginning to get vocal.
    We proudly publish the Parents for Choice manifesto:
    Parents for Choice - Welsh education lobby group wants your support

Extract:
    The Parents for Choice manifesto can be read in full at:
    http://www.gogwatch.com/2012/02/08/parents-for-choice-welsh-education-lobby-group-wants-your-support/

Gogwatch
    Giving a voice to the silent majority in Wales

9. There's nothing new about certain people who are against the welsh language, in the 80's some welsh medium schools were baracaded by english speakers.
    This was despite the fact that councils used to build the english medium schools brand new facilities, and then welsh medium schools would be housed in the old buildings left behind.
    These apparently vocal opponents of the welsh-language are so far little more than a handful of online apparitions.
    The following statement still stands.
    I don't trust an anti-welsh language website to make a balanced
    assessment of education in wales.
    It would be like trusting someone from al-Qaeda to write an objective review of an 18-30's holiday.
    That's just how it is.