1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parents Evenings?

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by roadwalker8, Jul 20, 2017.

1. roadwalker8

roadwalker8 New commenter

I am going 0.8 from September. My day off is the day that most parents evenings, open evenings etc tend to fall. What is the legality as to if I have to / should attend? Many thanks in advance.

2. gadgetgirl123

gadgetgirl123 New commenter

I believe the legal stance is that if you do not work on that day, they cannot make you attend.

Personally I attend my part time share of insets, parents evenings and I also do the open evening. It makes up part of my directed time. If you refused to attend them, then the school would need to make sure you had the correct amount of directed hours.

I don't attend the afterschool staff meetings though, as they are not on my working day.

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

They can't make you go. However, they might ask you to see parents at another time, telephone them instead, leave notes for a HoD to work from, or respond to questions left for you at the evening. It might be less hassle to go if you are able to. If you're secondary, it might depend on subject - parents will reasonably expect to be able to communicate with their child's maths teacher, even if not at the parents' evening; they'll probably be less bothered if you teach music or RE unless they have a particular query.

4. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Partially correct! :D

No-one can be made to work on a day on which they are not contracted to work. If you do choose to attend parents' evening etc you should be paid for your time or offered TOIL.

Time cannot be 'directed' on a day on which a teacher is not contracted to work. 'Directed time' is also a ceiling, not a floor target. The stated hours must not be exceeded, but there is no requirement for any teacher to work a particular number of hours of directed time. the concept of a 'correct amount' of directed time does not exist, other than that it should not exceed 1265/0.8. If the school schedules most parents' evenings on the day you are not contracted to work, that is their problem. There is no requirement for you to 'make up' a certain number of Directed Time hours in a different context.

5. CuriousTurtle

CuriousTurtle Occasional commenter

1265*0.8 dividing it would make the number bigger xD

GLsghost likes this.
  6. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

:D :D :D
    I do Law not sums, Miss / Sir!

7. roadwalker8

roadwalker8 New commenter

Thanks for the advice. Is this still relevant for an academy or can they set their own rules?

8. Alldone

Alldone Established commenter

This happened to a friend of mine at an Indie school. If he had to attend parents evenings on his day off they paid him half a day's salary - not bad money for a couple of hours.

9. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

The information about contract in enshrined in common law. No academy can rule that a person must attend parents' evenings on a non-contract day. If, of course, the contract includes attendance at events on days that are not usual work days, then that becomes a term of the contract of employment. Under such circumstances, however, those additional hours would have to be accounted for and paid.

As far as directed time goes, an academy - or any employer not subject to the provisions of STPCD - can stipulate the hours they wish an employee to work, length of holidays etc. Those terms of the employment contract are for the employee to accept or reject at interview.