1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parents Evening

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cornflake, Oct 7, 2018.

1. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

Hi everyone
    Just curious - do you all see parents on your own, in your classroom - or do all teachers gather in one place e.g. the hall?

2. altally

altally New commenter

We all go in the hall, and use a big timer on the screen so the appointments don’t overrun.

3. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

We are in the classroom. I would much rather be in the Hall.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I've done both. They each have plus and minus points.

It's not something I feel overly strongly about.

Currently in the hall.

5. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

In the hall. For our own safety presumably :D

6. cornflake

I'm trying to imagine the set up in the hall...
    lots of parents queuing? Do they wait outside? Sit in the middle until you are free??
    Do any complain about the possibility of being overheard? Bad acoustics?

7. mbee1

mbee1 Occasional commenter

We have a relatively new school built on two floors, KS1 downstairs and KS2 upstairs. KS1 have their meetings in the classroom and KS2 use the Studio - a smaller Hall next to the main hall. Parents wait in the main hall where Governors provide refreshments and, for the Autumn evenings, the school kitchen put on a taster menu for the new school meals.

8. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

done all sorts over the years, having the time on screen works well. My favourite was where Year 6 acted as hosts and knocked your door and popped in to say your next appointment was ready for you. works well where there is some sort of facility for younger children to play close by. Don't like our current arrangement where appointments are made without your input so you can be stitched up with no breaks and an odd appointment an hour after all the others.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We have tables and chairs round the edge of the hall, a fair way away from each other as we have different year groups on different days, so not too many teachers in the hall at once.

Parents wait on chairs in the centre of the hall.

Some people complain, but some people complain about everything!

ViolaClef likes this.
  10. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Yes, that’s us, too - tables and chairs around the edge of the hall, parents wait in the middle. It can get quite noisy but I think I prefer that to being behind a closed door in a classroom all evening - especially if any parents decide to be tricky or overstay their time; easier for the Head and others to keep an eye on things in the Hall - and someone might even come and rescue you if you get stuck with a garrulous parent!

11. cornflake

Thanks every one. Really useful to have some input from people who have experience of this.
    We've come up with a plan for everyone in one room: just need to see how it goes down in practice!